Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default High pressure, cold nights

According to the forecast there are some frosts heading for Suffolk and
Norfolk and sleet on Monday.
All the result, presumably, of high pressure establishing itself over the
country for a few days and holding off the Atlantic lows.

Time to look to the geraniums, which are still flowering tucked up against
the south wall, and to the outdoor tomatoes - get in the last few fruit and
wave goodbye to the plants.

The lemon tree lives outside all year round and again is tucked up against
the south wall, so hopefully that will be fine.

Middle December for the first frosts is not bad going - very different from
my time in Berkshire - I just hope we get some warmer weather before
Christmas so I can finish my outdoor construction work.

What are the odds of a white Christmas this year?
Certainly there has been a lot of precipitation so if this carries on and we
get a cold blast we could see some snow :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:

According to the forecast there are some frosts heading for Suffolk and
Norfolk and sleet on Monday.
All the result, presumably, of high pressure establishing itself over the
country for a few days and holding off the Atlantic lows.

Time to look to the geraniums, which are still flowering tucked up against
the south wall, and to the outdoor tomatoes - get in the last few fruit and
wave goodbye to the plants.

The lemon tree lives outside all year round and again is tucked up against
the south wall, so hopefully that will be fine.

Middle December for the first frosts is not bad going - very different from
my time in Berkshire -

The first frost is getting later for everybody everywhere in the UK.

What are the odds of a white Christmas this year?
Certainly there has been a lot of precipitation so if this carries on and we
get a cold blast we could see some snow :-)

One flake on Met Office headquarters is enough for a "white Christmas"
bet to pay out. As for substantial white stuff cover, the odds on that
are vanishingly small unless you go north or high.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 11-12-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:50:33 +0000, Phil Cook

wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:

According to the forecast there are some frosts heading for Suffolk and
Norfolk and sleet on Monday.
All the result, presumably, of high pressure establishing itself over the
country for a few days and holding off the Atlantic lows.

Time to look to the geraniums, which are still flowering tucked up
against
the south wall, and to the outdoor tomatoes - get in the last few fruit
and
wave goodbye to the plants.

The lemon tree lives outside all year round and again is tucked up
against
the south wall, so hopefully that will be fine.

Middle December for the first frosts is not bad going - very different
from
my time in Berkshire -

The first frost is getting later for everybody everywhere in the UK.

and in Europe. Before GW got going we even had at least one winter with no
frost
in Zuid Holland.

What are the odds of a white Christmas this year?
Certainly there has been a lot of precipitation so if this carries on and
we
get a cold blast we could see some snow :-)

One flake on Met Office headquarters is enough for a "white Christmas"
bet to pay out. As for substantial white stuff cover, the odds on that
are vanishingly small unless you go north or high.

North of Watford?
--

Martin

Let's hope we have another not so bad winter again up here in West
Yorkshire. You can keep all that snow and cold down there . :-))
I suppose the heat from the Black Pudding factories does give us a slight
advantage.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

rupert writes
Let's hope we have another not so bad winter again up here in West
Yorkshire. You can keep all that snow and cold down there . :-))

No you can't! I moved up here for snow. Last year we had waxwings and
sledging :-)

I suppose the heat from the Black Pudding factories does give us a
slight advantage.

:-)
--
Kay