Old 21-12-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Camellia chinensis or sinensis

I took these pictures at the end of November in a couple of gardens in
Shanghai, they had them labeled Camellia chinensis, but I see that the
plant finder calls then sinensis, anyway they were starting to come
into flower, but I should think the bulk will flower in the new year.
The temp in Shanghai now is rather like that here in Wales but without
the rain, in the last week they have been down to -5c a couple of
nights with a day time temp of just 2c but in a few days they will be
up to 12c in the day and 6c at night

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sinensis01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sinensis02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sinensis03.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sinensis04.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sinensis05.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...sinensis06.jpg

They used a lot of indiginous plants in their gardens and not the
improved versions.
I didn't get the chance to take a picture of a plant I saw 3 times
when being driven by Taxi around Shanghai, I thought they were a very
full double Abutilon, but on searching Google I believe them to be a
form of Hibiscus, though none of the pictures were of such good
specimins as I saw.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...smutabulis.gif
What I saw were more upright and the flowers were more like powder
puffs, realy tight doubles
When you have a taxi driver who speaks NO english you cant as him to
stop whilst you get out to take pictures.
David Hill
Old 21-12-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...202009/Camelli...

They used a lot of indiginous plants in their gardens and not the
improved versions.
I didn't get the chance to take a picture of a plant I saw 3 times
when being driven by Taxi around Shanghai, I thought they were a very
full double Abutilon, but on searching Google I believe them to be a
form of Hibiscus, though none of the pictures were of such good
specimins as I saw.http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...smutabulis.gif
What I saw were more upright and the flowers were more like powder
puffs, realy tight doubles
When you have a taxi driver who speaks NO english you cant as him to
stop whilst you get out to take pictures.
David Hill

I should have said that the flowers are just 2 to 3 inches across.
David Hill
Old 21-12-2009, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

[...]

I should have said that the chamellia flowers were just 2 to 3 inches
across.
David Hill
Old 22-12-2009, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Dec, 23:30, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

I took these pictures at the end of November in a couple of gardens in
Shanghai, they had them labeled Camellia chinensis, but I see that the
plant finder calls then sinensis,

* *Sinensis means, "of China". *

* *Janet

I know
I just found the flowers to be lovely.
David Hill
Old 24-12-2009, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

I took these pictures at the end of November in a couple of gardens in
Shanghai, they had them labeled Camellia chinensis, but I see that the
plant finder calls then sinensis,

Sinensis means, "of China".

Janet

I know
I just found the flowers to be lovely.

I bought a packet of nuts from Chiltern Seeds many years back. None
germinated, though they all looked viable after two years.

Promble being, that the real viability of the nuts is really short.

Something I've always wanted, my own small tea plantation innit.

--
Rusty