GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tacca seeds -bat plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/188790-tacca-seeds-bat-plant.html)

keith kent 22-12-2009 10:11 PM

Tacca seeds -bat plant

I have Tacca seeds, on the packet it advices to sow in spring .On a website
i read it states sow straight away .
So has anyone any experience with these .
Regards Keith

Spider[_2_] 23-12-2009 01:09 PM

Tacca seeds -bat plant

"keith kent" wrote in message
I have Tacca seeds, on the packet it advices to sow in spring .On a website
i read it states sow straight away .
So has anyone any experience with these .
Regards Keith

I've never grown them, but have mostly read that they need sowing when
fresh, so I would do it as soon as possible as they have a shortish
shelf-life. The RHS Propagation guide suggests spring sowing, but because
of the shelf-life problem, sooner rather than later must be better. Surface
sow and keep them at about 25degC. I have heard that older seed can take
months - even 12! - to germinate, so I hope you're patient.

Good luck.
Spider

keith kent 23-12-2009 09:13 PM

Tacca seeds -bat plant

"Spider" wrote in message

"keith kent" wrote in message
I have Tacca seeds, on the packet it advices to sow in spring .On a
website i read it states sow straight away .
So has anyone any experience with these .
Regards Keith

I've never grown them, but have mostly read that they need sowing when
fresh, so I would do it as soon as possible as they have a shortish
shelf-life. The RHS Propagation guide suggests spring sowing, but because
of the shelf-life problem, sooner rather than later must be better.
Surface sow and keep them at about 25degC. I have heard that older seed
can take months - even 12! - to germinate, so I hope you're patient.

Good luck.
Spider

Thanks for that , i was going to sow them due to the fact germination can
take 1-12 months . I am hoping by summer they have germinated and can grow
away !
Regards Keith