Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a grey day...

"Martin" wrote...
K wrote:
Bob Hobden writes
The Gov't don't want people driving 4x4s, if they don't improve the
roads and spend serious money totally resurfacing them, we will all
find them a necessity just to get around.

The Gov't are directly responsible only for the motorways and a few
trunk roads. All the rest are the responsibility of the local
authorities.

The majority of which are not controlled by the Labour Party. The same
people
are responsible for high local taxation and over paid council officials.

The fact is this Gov't has been diverting some County Council's share of the
Tax Revenue to other Councils and projects, so in Surrey the roads suffer
because the money isn't there.
County don't get all their funds from local taxes they get an annual share
from the Treasury but this Govn't has tinkered with the share-out, I'm told,
favouring other areas of the country.

That said, the whole country's roads are in such a bad state the Annual
Local Authority Road Maintenance Survey states....

"The 2009 ALARM Survey is the 14th to be published and reports that £8.5
billion is now needed to bring the roads of England and Wales up to scratch.
Local authorities relate that they still only receive around half of the
road maintenance budgets they need, resulting in a backlog of up to 13
years."

http://www.asphaltindustryalliance.com/alarm.asp

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Sacha writes
On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud
to the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer
seed feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches,
Sparrows polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing
speed and Great, Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.
We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good
value, since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors.

That's interesting - sounds as if they're working from the north
downwards. We've had them in the area for years and in the garden for
at least 10 years. The seem so magical - you tend not to notice them
until suddenly you are in the middle of a flock of thirty, and there
they are, all around you, twittering away to each other, a matter of
feet way from you.

We get small groups of LTTs pretty often - but haven't spotted any
today. They do seem more prevalent these days than they used to be but
maybe that's my imagination; I don't know if BTO or RSPB stats support
this - perhaps Malcolm Ogilvie can advise. I feel very sorry for the
kingfishers in weather such as we are "enjoying" at present. While it's
beautiful and exhilarating, they say the cold spell could last for the
month; if this is correct I suspect the UK kingfisher population will
take a big hit. We have three ponds and they (kingfishers) give our
grandchildren (and us) great pleasure in spring and summer. Sorry - all
this ornithological prattle is rather OT .... but it is all related to
our garden so, I feel, can be justified :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gopher writes
In message , K

We get small groups of LTTs pretty often - but haven't spotted any
today. They do seem more prevalent these days than they used to be but
maybe that's my imagination;

No, it's true. They've benefited from recent mild winters. And they have
also learnt to exploit garden feeding station, so not only have they
increased in numbers, they are also easier to see.

I feel very sorry for the kingfishers in weather such as we are
"enjoying" at present. While it's beautiful and exhilarating, they say
the cold spell could last for the month; if this is correct I suspect
the UK kingfisher population will take a big hit.

Long tailed tits will too.

We have three ponds and they (kingfishers) give our grandchildren (and
us) great pleasure in spring and summer. Sorry - all this
ornithological prattle is rather OT .... but it is all related to our
garden so, I feel, can be justified :-))

BTO on long tailed tits:
http://www.bto.org/gbw/PUBLICATIONS/...BT42_8-9LR.pdf

and kingfisher:
http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/result...310.htm#Trends
--
Kay
Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

That said, the whole country's roads are in such a bad state the Annual
Local Authority Road Maintenance Survey states....

"The 2009 ALARM Survey is the 14th to be published and reports that
£8.5 billion is now needed to bring the roads of England and Wales up
to scratch. Local authorities relate that they still only receive
around half of the road maintenance budgets they need, resulting in a
backlog of up to 13 years."

http://www.asphaltindustryalliance.com/alarm.asp

"Up to scratch" is a rather subjective term. I wonder whether the
Asphalt Industry Alliance definition of "up to scratch" matches, for
example, my definition?
--
Kay
Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-03 15:46:22 +0000, K said:

Gopher writes

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud to
the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer seed
feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Sparrows
polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing speed and Great,
Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders.
We get long tailed tits on the fat feeders. They're very good value,
since they are a lot less worried about humans than other tits are.

We saw those here for the first time last year. I'm so pleased even
though they're only occasional visitors.

That's interesting - sounds as if they're working from the north
downwards. We've had them in the area for years and in the garden for
at least 10 years. The seem so magical - you tend not to notice them
until suddenly you are in the middle of a flock of thirty, and there
they are, all around you, twittering away to each other, a matter of
feet way from you.

I think we've managed two pairs so far, so I won't start boasting yet.
;-) But I suddenly realised I was looking at something I hadn't seen
before and a closer look confirmed it. I'm very pleased. Our
woodpecker seems to have taken himself off altogether but the tawny
owls are still around and can be quite noisy at times. Lovely!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 18:09:53 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)

At least _I'll_ agree with you Sacha. Grey down here in west Cornwall,
with passing showers, and a cold biting wind.

A 'Grade A' grey day ;-(

Come to tea! Have a drink! Let me pass you some chocolates! I was
beginning to think we'd entered a parallel universe or something! ;-))

Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 3 Jan, 18:19, Sacha wrote:
On 2010-01-03 18:09:53 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

[...]

Lovely sunny day here in South Wales, Temp with us went up to 43f, got
the tubers packed for the RHS trails, a couple of days late, but with
the snow and everything...........
We have had a colony of long tailed tits here now for the last 5 or 6
years, at times when I go out to the field they follow me along the
hedge calling away all the time, then they follow me back and stop at
the feeders, I love the way you can get to within about 6 ft of them
when they are feeding, if you go slowly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/Feeder.jpg
David Hill
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around
here and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of
going out for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest
it, she said she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes
- sheet ice everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part
of the day, so it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire
and the telly. Tsk! ;-) --
Sacha

What a shame. Wall to wall sunshine here on the Isle of Wight :-))

Likewise here Mike, although cold. My weather station is showing 0.8°C and
dropping. Snow symbol is flashing.
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Gopher writes
In message , K

[...]

Thanks Kay.
HNY :-))

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The whole
landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here and
there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out for
lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said she
didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly. Tsk!
;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Mainly lovely here in sunny Felixstowe :-)

Every half hour or so a cloud passes over and dumps snow or hail, but then
it clears again.
Generally white around except where the sunshine has cleared patches.

Last time I looked the outside temperature was still below 2C.

Waiting for transport to arrive before we go out for a walk.

Went up to Sunbury to Captains Wood and had a wonderful snowy walk.
I can't remember the last time I walked in snow through the woods :-)

There is a herd of roe deer (about 50) and a few muntjack - they stand out
against the snow.
We also saw a barn owl hunting through the trees.
Plenty of pheasants seen (and heard).

The snow here is really wierd - it seems to be laid down in strips by
passing clouds, and some places are clear and others are white.
There is snow in Felixstowe and the current tremperature is allegedly -2.3C
The roads are like skating rinks, but the paths are deliciously crunchy.
Depending on what happens overnight Monday morning is going to be glorious
and/or chaos.

I wouldn't want to be a plant in this weather!

Cheers

Dave R

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
Bob Hobden writes

That said, the whole country's roads are in such a bad state the Annual
Local Authority Road Maintenance Survey states....

"The 2009 ALARM Survey is the 14th to be published and reports that £8.5
billion is now needed to bring the roads of England and Wales up to
scratch. Local authorities relate that they still only receive around half
of the road maintenance budgets they need, resulting in a backlog of up to
13 years."

http://www.asphaltindustryalliance.com/alarm.asp

"Up to scratch" is a rather subjective term. I wonder whether the Asphalt
Industry Alliance definition of "up to scratch" matches, for example, my
definition?

Maybe, depends if you drive and like spending money on repairs (just had new
front suspension bushes fitted) caused by the dire state of our roads, even
the dreaded speed bumps are falling apart round here.
Figures and cost of bringing the roads "up to scratch" are from the Councils
themselves, see my link.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"Up to scratch" is a rather subjective term. I wonder whether the
Asphalt Industry Alliance definition of "up to scratch" matches, for
example, my definition?

Maybe, depends if you drive and like spending money on repairs (just
had new front suspension bushes fitted) caused by the dire state of
our roads, even the dreaded speed bumps are falling apart round here.

As someone who travels locally on foot more often than by car, I'm not
too fussed about anything that means drivers drive more slowly.

Figures and cost of bringing the roads "up to scratch" are from the
Councils themselves, see my link.

... but it was the Asphalt Industry Alliance that asked the question
(yes, I read the link).
--
Kay
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote ...
Bob Hobden writes

"Up to scratch" is a rather subjective term. I wonder whether the
Asphalt Industry Alliance definition of "up to scratch" matches, for
example, my definition?

Maybe, depends if you drive and like spending money on repairs (just had
new front suspension bushes fitted) caused by the dire state of our
roads, even the dreaded speed bumps are falling apart round here.

As someone who travels locally on foot more often than by car, I'm not too
fussed about anything that means drivers drive more slowly.

Figures and cost of bringing the roads "up to scratch" are from the
Councils themselves, see my link.

... but it was the Asphalt Industry Alliance that asked the question
(yes, I read the link).

Speed is not a significant cause or even part cause of accidents, and that
is in official figures, driver inattention is and damaged roads that mean
you are concentrating on looking for the next pothole (or speed bump) and
not, say, moving feet under a parked car or that cyclist that is about to
swerve around a hole mean you are significantly at more danger with the
roads in this state.
Then there is the mechanical failure situation caused by the potholes. I
myself have suffered a partial but serious deflation* in an outside tyre
after hitting a deep pothole on a corner, a very dangerous situation for us
and any one else around.
*lost 18psi in a front tyre in an instant.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Jan, 18:19, Sacha wrote:
On 2010-01-03 18:09:53 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

[...]

Ah, that's those lovely new Dahlias you sent the pics of, yes?

We have had a colony of long tailed tits here now for the last 5 or 6
years, at times when I go out to the field they follow me along the
hedge calling away all the time, then they follow me back and stop at
the feeders, I love the way you can get to within about 6 ft of them
when they are feeding, if you go slowly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/Feeder.jpg
David Hill

What a super photo, David. Next time we have some ltt around I'll move
closer to them and see if I can get a pic of them on the peanut feeder.
Thanks for that.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
Lovely sunny day here in South Wales, Temp with us went up to 43f, got
the tubers packed for the RHS trails, a couple of days late, but with
the snow and everything...........
We have had a colony of long tailed tits here now for the last 5 or 6
years, at times when I go out to the field they follow me along the
hedge calling away all the time, then they follow me back and stop at
the feeders, I love the way you can get to within about 6 ft of them
when they are feeding, if you go slowly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/Feeder.jpg

We have one of those squirrel proof feeders , actually bought to stop the
pigeons, but the small birds won't go near it. In a year I think I've seen
two birds feeding.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Grey day ;-( Sacha United Kingdom 12 05-08-2013 11:43 AM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 08:52 PM
What a grey day... Sacha United Kingdom 83 26-02-2007 12:16 PM
Plant Explorers FYI Rainy Day or Winter day joys William Wagner Gardening 0 04-09-2004 06:10 PM