Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a grey day...

In article ,
K wrote:
Bob Hobden writes

"Up to scratch" is a rather subjective term. I wonder whether the
Asphalt Industry Alliance definition of "up to scratch" matches, for
example, my definition?

Maybe, depends if you drive and like spending money on repairs (just
had new front suspension bushes fitted) caused by the dire state of
our roads, even the dreaded speed bumps are falling apart round here.

As someone who travels locally on foot more often than by car, I'm not
too fussed about anything that means drivers drive more slowly.

Even it it makes it much more difficult to cross roads on foot?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-04 08:45:48 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote
Lovely sunny day here in South Wales, Temp with us went up to 43f, got
the tubers packed for the RHS trails, a couple of days late, but with
the snow and everything...........
We have had a colony of long tailed tits here now for the last 5 or 6
years, at times when I go out to the field they follow me along the
hedge calling away all the time, then they follow me back and stop at
the feeders, I love the way you can get to within about 6 ft of them
when they are feeding, if you go slowly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/Feeder.jpg

We have one of those squirrel proof feeders , actually bought to stop
the pigeons, but the small birds won't go near it. In a year I think
I've seen two birds feeding.

Well, we've got the sun back today - hope we haven't stolen it from
anyone else! The birds are dashin around like mad thiings and life is
all but back to normal. The 'but' bit is the vast amount of Christmas
decorations still to carry out to the shed and the rubbish still
waiting to go! This morning we've had quite a sharp frost, though I
can't tell you the temp but there's a lot of white lying around on
lawns and flower beds.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-04 08:45:48 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Not pinching it from us. ('Us' being the Isle of Wight) Wall to wall
sunshine again, just as we have had over the last few days :-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Not pinching it from us. ('Us' being the Isle of Wight) Wall to wall
sunshine again, just as we have had over the last few days :-))

--
Mike

-6 and thick fog here in the Forest of Dean

kate
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-01-04 08:45:48 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote
[...]

It's very, very cold and clear here but I have been able (just about!)
to cut a Savoy cabbage this morning. Lovely.
--
June Hughes

Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:45:48 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote
Lovely sunny day here in South Wales, Temp with us went up to 43f, got
the tubers packed for the RHS trails, a couple of days late, but with
the snow and everything...........
We have had a colony of long tailed tits here now for the last 5 or 6
years, at times when I go out to the field they follow me along the
hedge calling away all the time, then they follow me back and stop at
the feeders, I love the way you can get to within about 6 ft of them
when they are feeding, if you go slowly
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/Feeder.jpg

We have one of those squirrel proof feeders , actually bought to stop the
pigeons, but the small birds won't go near it. In a year I think I've seen
two birds feeding.

Perhaps you should put some food into it?

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote ...
Bob Hobden writes

Speed is not a significant cause or even part cause of accidents,

but it does have an effect on the amount of injury caused.

And a side road is more likely to be used as a 'rat run' if it saves
time on the main road route - ie if it can be travelled at speed.
--
Kay
Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:

As someone who travels locally on foot more often than by car, I'm not
too fussed about anything that means drivers drive more slowly.

Even it it makes it much more difficult to cross roads on foot?

In what way do slower cars make it more difficult to cross roads?

Because it makes it much more likely that there is a continuous
stream of moving traffic, with no gaps adequate for crossing.
Pedestrians then have to take more risks, or use a car to cross
the road where it is infeasible or dangerous on foot. And, yes,
that is fairly common - especially for the less athletic.

On another response, the evidence that lowering speed limits
reduces the number of accidents is so flawed as to be worthless.
It may, but it is also possible that it increases them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
K wrote:

As someone who travels locally on foot more often than by car, I'm not
too fussed about anything that means drivers drive more slowly.

Even it it makes it much more difficult to cross roads on foot?

In what way do slower cars make it more difficult to cross roads?

Because it makes it much more likely that there is a continuous
stream of moving traffic, with no gaps adequate for crossing.
Pedestrians then have to take more risks, or use a car to cross
the road where it is infeasible or dangerous on foot. And, yes,
that is fairly common - especially for the less athletic.

On another response, the evidence that lowering speed limits
reduces the number of accidents is so flawed as to be worthless.
It may, but it is also possible that it increases them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a village here on the Isle of Wight with the main road from Sandown
to Newport running through it. I would say 80% of the houses etc are on one
side of said main road. A couple of years ago the speed limit was lowered to
30. There is now a very slow stream going through the village and vehicles
waiting to get out into the stream or across it, can wait for ages. For
them, a bad move.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

How do you know?

The report I read was based on the reduction of accidents in Dutch urban area
as a result of lowering speed limits.

Because (a) I am a (somewhat rusty) statistician and (b) I looked
at several of those reports including, if I recall, one about
Holland.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

How do you know?

The report I read was based on the reduction of accidents in Dutch urban area
as a result of lowering speed limits.

Because (a) I am a (somewhat rusty) statistician and (b) I looked
at several of those reports including, if I recall, one about
Holland.

and what was the problem you identified?

Mainly the lack of any evidence that the changes were not simply the
displacement of accidents to elsewhere, but also poor evidence that
the rates quoted were both real and due to the change.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Grey day ;-( Sacha United Kingdom 12 05-08-2013 10:43 AM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
What a grey day... Sacha United Kingdom 83 26-02-2007 11:16 AM
Plant Explorers FYI Rainy Day or Winter day joys William Wagner Gardening 0 04-09-2004 05:10 PM