Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a grey day...

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The whole
landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here and
there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out for lunch
today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said she didn't
think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice everywhere. It
was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so it looks like
another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly. Tsk! ;-)
--
Sacha

What a shame. Wall to wall sunshine here on the Isle of Wight :-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)

Dry and bight and sunny here in S.Wales.

Just like a day in June except somewhat colder outside the house.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)

Dry and bight and sunny here in S.Wales.

Just like a day in June except somewhat colder outside the house.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Have to agree. What is your temperature? Ours was 46 about an hour ago.

Lovely day :-))

And isn't the blue sky a vivid blue?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)

Beautiful here today at breakfast time. Complete covering of snow, sun
just above the horizon shining through the trees, big gentle snowflakes
dropping steadily. And a flock of goldfinches in the birch trees.

The snow has now stopped and we have blue skies. I probably won't go out
as I have work to do here, but I'm just about to walk around the garden.
--
Kay

Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

Brilliant day in the Forest of Dean :-)

kate

Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 11:49:52 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ said:

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out
for lunch today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said
she didn't think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice
everywhere. It was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so
it looks like another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly.
Tsk! ;-)

Dry and bight and sunny here in S.Wales.

Just like a day in June except somewhat colder outside the house.

We had that for a couple of days last week, it was glorious. But it's
turned right round now and the wind is in the south, so rain and snow
will probably be on its way.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 12:19:20 +0000, "Kate Morgan" said:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

Brilliant day in the Forest of Dean :-)

kate

Humph. I blame Dartmoor. ;-))

Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-03 12:19:20 +0000, "Kate Morgan"
said:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

Brilliant day in the Forest of Dean :-)

kate

Humph. I blame Dartmoor. ;-))

--
Sacha

I think one of those you have had a go at must have been a Weather Man :-((

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

Brilliant day in the Forest of Dean :-)

kate

It's lovely here in north London.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The whole
landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here and
there which cheers things up a bit. We had thought of going out for lunch
today but when Ray rang his daughter to suggest it, she said she didn't
think she or we would get through the lanes - sheet ice everywhere. It
was the same yesterday for a large part of the day, so it looks like
another afternoon in front of the fire and the telly. Tsk! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Mainly lovely here in sunny Felixstowe :-)

Every half hour or so a cloud passes over and dumps snow or hail, but then
it clears again.
Generally white around except where the sunshine has cleared patches.

Last time I looked the outside temperature was still below 2C.

Waiting for transport to arrive before we go out for a walk.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

North Dorset - glorious sunshine with just a line of distant cloud to
the S & SW. Goldfinches, Redpolls and Siskins cramming the nyjer seed
feeders with the usual squabbling. Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Sparrows
polishing off the seed and sunflower hearts at amazing speed and Great,
Blue and Coal Tits mobbing the nut feeders. Diligently hoovering up at
ground level the woodpigeons and pheasants are ably assisted by the odd
dunnock and any sparrow and chaffy overflow. The bully boy starlings
appear to be observing a New Year resolution of better behaviour. And I
haven't seen so many male blackbirds for a long time - about 10 at any
one time; a few song thrushes are ferreting about in the various beds.
Everything is observed by a pair of male bullfinches which only rarely
visit the table. Lots of targets for the sparrowhawk!

A perfect winter's day.....
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip interesting stuff :-)

A perfect winter's day.....
Gopher .... I know my place!

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

kate
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:19:20 -0000, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:04:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

and it really is, too - nothing but grey as far as I can see. The
whole landscape is very bleak but various birds are popping around here
and there which cheers things up a bit.

Up here in Cheshire the sky is clear and the sunshine is brilliant but
much too cold for gardening. Lots of birds are visiting for their
lunch.

Steve

Brilliant day in the Forest of Dean :-)

Ditto here south of Bristol. No snow, hardly any frost this morning.

Pam in Bristol

Grey day ;-( Sacha United Kingdom 12 05-08-2013 10:43 AM
Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
What a grey day... Sacha United Kingdom 83 26-02-2007 11:16 AM
Plant Explorers FYI Rainy Day or Winter day joys William Wagner Gardening 0 04-09-2004 05:10 PM