Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default green taters

got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket

becuase they're starting to go green

do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these words:

got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket

becuase they're starting to go green

do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

The green parts should not be eaten (especially by pregnant women)
because they contain
concentrations of solanine, the alkaloid that makes potato leaves and
fruits toxic .

ah well, anybody needing something 'green' to chuck at demos....

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these words:

got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket
becuase they're starting to go green
do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

The green parts should not be eaten (especially by pregnant women)
because they contain
concentrations of solanine, the alkaloid that makes potato leaves and
fruits toxic .

Janet

There are many websites explaining the effectts of Solanine poisoning
through green potatoes. Here's just one of them:

http://www.promolux.com/english/reta..._greening.html

I always get a few green ones when diiggin mine from the garden. i
simply cut away the green bits and cook as normal; hoever, if they are
completely green I would be using them for adding to my compost heap
rahter than eaating.

--
Compo
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these words:

got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket

becuase they're starting to go green

do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

They do, once they've been in the dark long enough. Whether they lose
the solanine is another question entirely.

--
Kay
Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Paul Simonite writes
I always get a few green ones when diiggin mine from the garden. i
simply cut away the green bits and cook as normal; hoever, if they are
completely green I would be using them for adding to my compost heap
rahter than eaating.

Don't you end up with rather a lot of 'volunteers' in your compost heap?
--
Kay

Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Simonite" wrote in message
[...]

I boil green potatoes up for my chickens in the winter, doesn't seem to harm
them at all. Seems to do them good.
Don't quote me on this as a good idea, though. It works for us. ONLY.

I would not eat green potatoes myself.

Tina

Tina

Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these
words:
got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket

becuase they're starting to go green

do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

They do, once they've been in the dark long enough. Whether they lose
the solanine is another question entirely.

My understanding from books is that if green tattas are kept in the cool and
total darkness, they should return to normal. However, I haven't tried this!
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 3 Jan, 20:40, Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Pete C" contains these words:

K wrote:
Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these
words:
got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket

becuase they're starting to go green

do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

* Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

They do, once they've been in the dark long enough. Whether they lose
the solanine is another question entirely.

My understanding from books is that if green tattas are kept in the
cool and
total darkness, they should return to normal. However, I haven't tried this!

* *My mistake! I must always *have thrown them out *before they recovered :-)

* *Janet- Hide quoted text -

Better to keep then for growing than trying to get the green to go, by
the time any green would go they would be so old and shriveled with
long sprouts they would be useless.
David Hill
Old 07-01-2010, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
\snip\
I would be using them for adding to my compost heap
rahter than eaating.

Don't you end up with rather a lot of 'volunteers' in your compost heap?
--
Kay

We do get quite a few growing in the heaps but they all turn out nice
and clean, slug free and tasty. Our heaps are made from EU pallets
arranged into cubes and linked together. There are four of these cubes
side-by-side. We allow the spuds to grow inthe first two, turn the
third into the fouth after emptying fourth into garden/home-made potting
compost, etc.. The second is turned into vacant third and first into
second after spuds have been harvested. Waste not, want not :-)

--
Compo - Still here.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these
words:
got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket

becuase they're starting to go green

do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

They do, once they've been in the dark long enough. Whether they lose
the solanine is another question entirely.

My understanding from books is that if green tattas are kept in the
cool and
total darkness, they should return to normal. However, I haven't tried
this!

My mistake! I must always have thrown them out before they recovered
:-)

I boil green potatoes and give them to my chickens.
I have rare breeds but recently got 3 ex-battery hens - they go mad for
anything that isn't layers meal. They jump up to the jug in my hand to see
what's in it.
It will be layers pellets, a bit of mixed corn, veg peelings and maybe a
pear or apple or even a cabbage for them to pick at.
If anyone has a chance to rescue chickens from a battery and has room for
them, please do it. They will be minced up for chicken pies if you don't.
My 3 are laying like mad.

Taters ...and garlic Snag Edible Gardening 11 30-10-2013 11:05 PM
Diggin taters jerry Gardening 2 22-07-2003 06:22 AM
what happened to mah taters? Charles P Edible Gardening 9 15-07-2003 09:54 AM
My taters are dying:( junkyardcat Gardening 1 03-06-2003 11:56 AM
THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME ? Ian Sawers Lawns 0 02-04-2003 02:32 PM