GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help Please - Frost got to my Pampas Grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189157-help-please-frost-got-my-pampas-grass.html)

Jon[_9_] 17-01-2010 12:12 PM

Help Please - Frost got to my Pampas Grass

Hi

Seems like the frost has got to my two year old Pampas Grass and has
yellowed all the leaf blades.

Do you think I need to chop it right down to almost ground level ?

Thank you in advance.

Gary.

Phil Gurr 17-01-2010 02:10 PM

"Jon" wrote in message
Hi

Seems like the frost has got to my two year old Pampas Grass and has
yellowed all the leaf blades.

Do you think I need to chop it right down to almost ground level ?

Thank you in advance.

No, don't do anything at the moment. Wait until it dries out and then put a
match to it. Pampas grass loves to be burnt as this happens to it in its
native environment.

Phil

Jon[_9_] 17-01-2010 05:31 PM

On Jan 17, 2:10�pm, "Phil Gurr" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

Hi

Seems like the frost has got to my two year old Pampas Grass and has
yellowed all the leaf blades.

Do you think I need to chop it right down to almost ground level ?

Thank you in advance.

No, don't do anything at the moment. Wait until it dries out and then put a
match to it. Pampas grass loves to be burnt as this happens to it in its
native environment.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that great.

Regards.

Gary.

Dave Hill 17-01-2010 07:20 PM

"Jon" wrote in message

Hi

Seems like the frost has got to my two year old Pampas Grass and has
yellowed all the leaf blades.

Do you think I need to chop it right down to almost ground level ?

Thank you in advance.

No, don't do anything at the moment. Wait until it dries out and then put a
match to it. Pampas grass loves to be burnt as this happens to it in its
native environment.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that great.

Regards.

Gary.- Hide quoted text -

Just make sure that if you biurn it that there are no animals
hybernating in the dead grass,
A good place for hedghogs to over winter.
David Hill

Jon[_9_] 17-01-2010 07:58 PM

"Jon" wrote in message

Hi

Seems like the frost has got to my two year old Pampas Grass and has
yellowed all the leaf blades.

Do you think I need to chop it right down to almost ground level ?

Thank you in advance.

No, don't do anything at the moment. Wait until it dries out and then put a
match to it. Pampas grass loves to be burnt as this happens to it in its
native environment.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that great.

Regards.

Gary.- Hide quoted text -

Just make sure that if you biurn it that there are no animals
hybernating in the dead grass,
A good place for hedghogs to over winter.
David Hill- Hide quoted text -

WILL DO !

When I lived in South Africa they used to plant a sort of Pampas Grass
all over the mine dumps, I think the plan was that root system would
help keep the dumps together.

If the grass could withstand all the chemical by-products (including
cyanide) of gold production, I should imagine a bit of heat wouldn't
do too much harm!

Thanks.

Gary.

Stephen Wolstenholme 18-01-2010 01:09 PM

Help Please - Frost got to my Pampas Grass

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:41:46 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I've read that the idea that pampas grasses get regularly burnt down
in their natural habitat is a myth. But it may be the easiest way, and
least damaging to you, to do just that (the leaves have very sharp
edges). Make sure there's not a hedgehog hibernating in the thatch at
the base of the plant.

In countries were it grows naturally and some countries were it is
considered to be an invasive weed, burning has been used as a control
for a long time. Burning could occur naturally if struck by lightning.
Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.