GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Peat free compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189194-peat-free-compost.html)

Dave Hill 19-01-2010 02:41 PM

Peat free compost

I bought a few bales of B & Q peet free compost to use in the boxes my
dahlia tubers stand in for propagating.
I don't know how it will do, I wouldnt like to use it for growing on
plants, it seems to consist of just composted bark & wood fibre,
I should think it will require a lot of nitrogen to break it down.
Any one else tried it?
David Hill

David WE Roberts 19-01-2010 03:29 PM

Peat free compost

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I bought a few bales of B & Q peet free compost to use in the boxes my
dahlia tubers stand in for propagating.
I don't know how it will do, I wouldnt like to use it for growing on
plants, it seems to consist of just composted bark & wood fibre,
I should think it will require a lot of nitrogen to break it down.
Any one else tried it?
David Hill

No.
But...
I have tried the HomeBase Peat Free GroBags a couple of years back.
I mixed in some stable manure and topsoil and used it to grow vegetables in
pots.
I found it a lot better than the peat based GroBags.

Paul Luton[_2_] 19-01-2010 05:13 PM

Peat free compost

On 19/01/2010 15:29, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I bought a few bales of B & Q peet free compost to use in the boxes my
dahlia tubers stand in for propagating.
I don't know how it will do, I wouldnt like to use it for growing on
plants, it seems to consist of just composted bark & wood fibre,
I should think it will require a lot of nitrogen to break it down.
Any one else tried it?
David Hill

No.
But...
I have tried the HomeBase Peat Free GroBags a couple of years back.
I mixed in some stable manure and topsoil and used it to grow vegetables
in pots.
I found it a lot better than the peat based GroBags.

"Which?" slated the Homebase peat-free. The B&Q has apparently been
reformulated so no-one has experience. New Horizon Growbags came equal
second in a test of all seed composts and had a respectable score for
growing on. (now I just have to find a local stockist !)

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

K 19-01-2010 05:36 PM

Peat free compost

Paul Luton writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I've used New Horizon for years. Works well for me
--
Kay

David WE Roberts 19-01-2010 08:00 PM

Peat free compost

. uk...

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

What can I say?
Which and I will have to disagree on this one.
I presume they tested the GroBags not the larger compost bags?

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-01-2010 09:49 AM

Peat free compost

In article 5db56d6f-09f5-4535-ae8f-
,
says...
I bought a few bales of B & Q peet free compost to use in the boxes my
dahlia tubers stand in for propagating.
I don't know how it will do, I wouldnt like to use it for growing on
plants, it seems to consist of just composted bark & wood fibre,
I should think it will require a lot of nitrogen to break it down.
Any one else tried it?
David Hill

We have used New Horizon on the nursery for many years now as the
Clematis in particular over winter better in it. It takes some adjustment
in watering habits and we do give an extra osmocote imput as otherwise
stuff can stall, in the last year we have been admixing soil at around
30% and that seems even better.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk