Old 21-01-2010, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OK to bury cat droppings?

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:28:13 -0000, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:49:06 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:55:51 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

Cut out the middle man

Ambiguous - I took this to mean that you should get your cats to bury
their
own droppings in the garden.

No Sir. I was implying that one could, if one so wished, inter the
vector

Could you please interpret that into 'simple' english?

Take one cat

Inter in turd

then it's interred in turd!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4794 (20100121) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 22-01-2010, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Thanks for that.
I will bag up and bin it.
--
Chris
Old 23-01-2010, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Chris ] writes
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?

Well, (some) cats do ;-)
The theory is that the closer the digestive system is to ours, the more
likely it is that the faeces will carry organisms that are a problem to
us. So herbivore faeces are no problem, and we happily use horse manure
on the garden. Human faeces are potentially a problem (though still
used, I believe, in some parts of the world). Dogs and cats are
carnivores, and probably not a good idea to use their faeces in bulk.

Also, if it's come from a litter tray, the litter is basically clay and
not particularly useful to your soil.

As far as I am aware human faeces are used as fertiliser in this country
after suitable treatment.

Google gives http://orgprints.org/8477/1/njf4.pdf which claims 30-40% of
sewage sludge is used as fertiliser in Nordic countries.

Also
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ser-crops.html.

I am pretty sure they used to use it (and may still) around Suffolk.

It is treated to destroy pathogens, though, so I wouldn't use cat crap as
the main source of fertiliser for your slad crops :-)

I remember a large dump of it on the old Ipswich Airport. It was an
excellet source of tomato plants!
Graham

I'm always surprised there isn't a good crop of maize too.
Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.
Tina

signature database 4791 (20100120) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 23-01-2010, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

How are cat owners lazy?
It is recognised in law that cats cannot be controlled or trained and their
owners are not responsible for what they do. Unlike dogs.

Old 23-01-2010, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Part_No" wrote in message
Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

How are cat owners lazy?
It is recognised in law that cats cannot be controlled or trained and
their owners are not responsible for what they do. Unlike dogs.

Evidently, the Law Lords who originally came up with that were cat
lovers!!!!
Pet owners are ALWAYS responsible for their pets!
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4798 (20100122) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 23-01-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Personnally I would recomend burying the droppins BEFORE they leave the cat!
Old 23-01-2010, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

How are cat owners lazy?
It is recognised in law that cats cannot be controlled or trained and
their owners are not responsible for what they do. Unlike dogs.

This is quite true, Tina. Nevertheless, I put a lot of effort into training
my cats and it does make a difference. However, I'm aware that I can't
follow them around the road whilst they poop. If I'm in the garden and see
them next door about to poop, then I tell them off. However, I believe they
mainly wee next door and use my garden for their poop, which suits me fine.
I am the kind of responsible cat owner who likes to examine the poop
periodically to check for looseness or worms. I should point out that I do
worm my cats, but when puss decides to eat a worm-infested mouse, it's got
to come out somewhere :~(. I can only hope that doesn't happen next door
when I'm not there to stop it.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London,

Old 23-01-2010, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

How are cat owners lazy?
It is recognised in law that cats cannot be controlled or trained and
their owners are not responsible for what they do. Unlike dogs.

Evidently, the Law Lords who originally came up with that were cat
lovers!!!!
Pet owners are ALWAYS responsible for their pets!
Graham

I agree with you Graham.
Bringing any sort of pet into your home or garden means you are
responsible for what it does. It's no good trying to blame it on the
animal's 'nature' because you should be aware of that nature before
you take it in. If you are not prepared to accept responsibility for
what your pet does then you shouldn't keep it.
And the same goes for children of course!
Old 23-01-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:50:49 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Law Lords don't make laws.

Au contraire. They amend, adjust and tweak virtually every piece of
Government legislation. Their adjustments and suggestions are more
often than not incorporated into laws as their scrutiny is usually
more rigorous than that of the lower chamber.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°

Old 23-01-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:40:02 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹° contains these words:

wrote:

Law Lords don't make laws.

Au contraire. They amend, adjust and tweak virtually every piece of
Government legislation Their adjustments and suggestions are more
often than not incorporated into laws as their scrutiny is usually
more rigorous than that of the lower chamber.

Every amendment, tweak and adjustment has to be approved by both houses
of parliament;
and is therefore their collective responsibility.

Ergo, so it must be admitted that the Upper Chamber does have a large
part to play in "making law"

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 23-01-2010, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

How are cat owners lazy?
It is recognised in law that cats cannot be controlled or trained and
their owners are not responsible for what they do. Unlike dogs.

This is quite true, Tina. Nevertheless, I put a lot of effort into
training my cats and it does make a difference. However, I'm aware that I
can't follow them around the road whilst they poop. If I'm in the garden
and see them next door about to poop, then I tell them off. However, I
believe they mainly wee next door and use my garden for their poop, which
suits me fine. I am the kind of responsible cat owner

From what you have written, you are a typically *irresponsible* pet owner!
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4800 (20100123) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 23-01-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
[...]

'My catS', 'They'

Why do cat owners have to have ownership in multiples?

Possibly because they don't need the attention of dogs? Our dog never
'nipped next door for a wee'. Or ANYTHING

Cat's' should be banned. One if you like, on a lead.

Disgusting things :-((

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 23-01-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

wrote:

Law Lords don't make laws.

Au contraire. They amend, adjust and tweak virtually every piece of
Government legislation Their adjustments and suggestions are more
often than not incorporated into laws as their scrutiny is usually
more rigorous than that of the lower chamber.

Every amendment, tweak and adjustment has to be approved by both houses
of parliament;
and is therefore their collective responsibility.

There are 12 Law Lords and their function is judicial (appeal
courts) not legislative.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/u...BpJudicial.pdf

Janet

Were they not replaced by the Supreme Court as of 1st Oct 2009?
--
hugh

Old 24-01-2010, 05:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
[...]

I have a cat that is trained to go in his box. However, if a cat goes
to the bathroom in a garden, is it okay for the soil and the plants?
Old 24-01-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Part_No" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Chris" wrote
Is it OK to bury cat droppings?
Would it be OK under apple trees or gooseberry bushes?

I can't see why not, had an allotment where a neighbour had dozens
of cats and we didn't have a problem. Bury it deep enough so you and
others don't accidentally handle it.
There are possible risks from faeces, horse manure is the biggest
vector of tetanus, but normal sensible hygiene is all that is
required. If you think about it, any risk can't be any worse than
the daily cleaning out of a litter tray.

Cat droppings are the PAIN OF MY LIFE in my garden.

Why??? Birds, insects, small animals constantly foul your garden so
why pick on cats, they at least normally bury their poo and there is a
bonus in that they do something about other pests. (mice, rats,
pigeons...) God forbid you get a fox with cubs in your garden, from
experience on our allotment, they really do know how to destroy stuff.

My next door neighbour's Budgie does not foul my garden---why?(it's
caged)
I can control vermin ie: kill rats,mice,pigeons etc. legally but not a
cat because it is someones 'property'
I don't want cat poo buried in my garden-simple as that-. My kids get it
on their hands and clothes when they try to grow vegetables flowers etc:

I have made a few frames covered with netting to stop them pooing on
my freshly dug ground, and it works, but at sowing time I don't have
enough of them.
If I made enough for all of my areas I would be continually shifting
them, one at a time, for every move I make.

What's wrong with them pooing on your ground, just ignore it.

Read above please

Lazy cat owners should be made to account for their furry pets poos.

As a cat owner I don't understand what is lazy about an owner allowing
their cat out.
I have one, now elderly pedigree cat (19.5), who has never pood
outside, she has always used a tray, even come in to use it, the
other is a young stray and lived feral for a while (under our BBQ) and
he won't consider a tray even though we have constantly tried to
encourage him too.

Cat owners in my opinion own them, and a lazy bunch generally because
they don't need to take them for a walk or they think they as owners are
not responsible for them, but thet ARE responsible for them

Part of the problem is breeders that allow non-pedigree kittens to be
sold/given away before they are 12 weeks old. The organisation in
charge of Pedigree Cats insists they have to be. By that time the
mother will have house trained them and taught them to use a tray and
it will stay with them for life as it has all our pedigree cats.

Perhaps you could start a petition for a new law on that topic. 12
weeks minimum before they leave their mother.

I could not care less about how old they are at any stage in their lives
or when the leave the mother......that is up to the owner who may be
responsible or (usually) otherwise.

I wouldn't hurt a cat or any animal, but the owners!!!!

Cats should be on leads in my opinion as dogs are.

More than a bobs(shilling)worth of my opinion

Dogs and irresponsible owners of; now don't get me on that topic!!!
:-)

Dogs and irresponsible owners of.
You can report the owners and if you have proof of anything illegal then
there are laws to stop/prevent it.(but not cat owners..they are special)