Old 24-01-2010, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OK to bury cat droppings?

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from hugh ] contains these words:

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹° contains these words:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:50:49 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Law Lords don't make laws.

Au contraire. They amend, adjust and tweak virtually every piece of
Government legislation Their adjustments and suggestions are more
often than not incorporated into laws as their scrutiny is usually
more rigorous than that of the lower chamber.

Every amendment, tweak and adjustment has to be approved by both houses
of parliament;
and is therefore their collective responsibility.

There are 12 Law Lords and their function is judicial (appeal
court) not legislative

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/u...BpJudicial.pdf

Janet

Were they not replaced by the Supreme Court as of 1st Oct 2009?

Not replaced; the 12 Justices of the Supreme Court., are the 12
Law Lords.

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/about...to-the-uk.html

quote

"The Supreme Court has been established to achieve a complete
separation between the United Kingdom’s senior Judges and the Upper
House of Parliament, emphasising the independence of the Law Lords "
"The Supreme Court’s 12 Justices maintain the highest standards set by
the Appellate Committee, but are now explicitly separate from both
Government and Parliament."

Janet

But if they no longer sit in the House of Lords are they still Lords or
are they now Justices?
--
hugh

Old 24-01-2010, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:33:27 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.
Tina

It helps to cook it and chew it before swallowing.

(Microwaving is surprisingly good)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 24-01-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
writes

I'm always surprised there isn't a good crop of maize too.
Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes in.

Err, next time you eat some, put your teeth in first - you're meant to
chew it :-)

Yes. I know that.
Sometimes I could slap you, Malcolm, you can be so.. patronising.

Old 24-01-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from Kelly contains these words:

I have a cat that is trained to go in his box. However, if a cat goes
to the bathroom in a garden, is it okay for the soil and the plants?

That depends on what kind of bathroom you have in your garden.

Janet

ROFL!
Tina

Old 25-01-2010, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm
old enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

--
Kay

Old 25-01-2010, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Malcolm writes

In article , K
writes
Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm
old enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

Sure about that, are you?

Not absolutely sure ... but I think I may have met you ;-)

While I couldn't possibly make any such assumption about Tina's age,

Of course you can! Whether it's sensible or polite to do so is another
question, but you can always make assumptions if you wish.

--
Kay
Old 25-01-2010, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

They always were both, and continue to be both. They do "sit " in the
House of Lords but they don't take part when the HOL is voting on
Bills.
When they retire from their judicial posts in the Supreme Court, they
will continue to be Lords and sit in the HOL and will then be eligible
to take part in the HOL's
legislative role .

The separation of the Law Lords judicial role from HOL law-making, is
to ensure the appeal courts' impartiality and independence from
political party and government.

Janet

Hmm Is that 2 second homes and 2 sets of expenses I wonder?
--
hugh

Old 27-01-2010, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains these
words:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
writes

I'm always surprised there isn't a good crop of maize too.
Why anyone eats sweetcorn escapes me - it comes out exactly as it goes
in.

Err, next time you eat some, put your teeth in first - you're meant to
chew it :-)

Yes. I know that.
Sometimes I could slap you, Malcolm, you can be so.. patronising.

Hard not to, when a grown woman in a gardening group, wonders why
cooked maize doesn't grow.

You are quite right, Janet. I was very, very stupid.
I forgot it was cooked even though I'm all grown-up now. Can you possibly
forgive me?

Tina

Old 29-01-2010, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , K
writes
Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm old
enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

Sure about that, are you?

While I couldn't possibly make any such assumption about Tina's age, as
you have done, there's nothing that says I can't try and flatter her to
make amends! Anyway, discussing the age of ladies on this group is not
something a gentleman would do (cue obvious remark!).

--

Yes, Malcolm, you are probably old enough to be my father, so I excuse you
ducks and runs fast

Tina

Old 29-01-2010, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Malcolm writes

In article , K
writes
Malcolm writes

The word patronise comes from the Latin "pater" = father. So, as I'm old
enough to be your father........

Now that's interesting, because I assumed Tina was my age, and you're
certainly not old enough to be my father ;-)

Sure about that, are you?

Not absolutely sure ... but I think I may have met you ;-)

While I couldn't possibly make any such assumption about Tina's age,

Of course you can! Whether it's sensible or polite to do so is another
question, but you can always make assumptions if you wish.

What I love about about Malcolm is that he is always polite to women, even
if I stir him sometimes.
I'd really like to meet him one day although it's unlikely as I am in the
middle of England and he is on Islay.

Tina

--
Kay