Old 21-01-2010, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default phostrogen diluted for orchids

Despite reading all sorts of complicated stuff on keeping orchids, ours
bought from morrisons supermarkets seem to do really well standing in our
living room just inside a south facing window and they flower repeatedly.

we stand the pots in a bowl of tepid water for twenty minutes every two
weeks.

One thing we are not sure about is exactly how to feed them. We have some
phostrogen plant food and wondered to what strength we should dilute it when
we stand the orchids in it to water them? Thanks for any advice.

Old 21-01-2010, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john bently" wrote ...
Despite reading all sorts of complicated stuff on keeping orchids, ours
bought from morrisons supermarkets seem to do really well standing in our
living room just inside a south facing window and they flower repeatedly.

we stand the pots in a bowl of tepid water for twenty minutes every two
weeks.

One thing we are not sure about is exactly how to feed them. We have some
phostrogen plant food and wondered to what strength we should dilute it
when we stand the orchids in it to water them? Thanks for any advice.

Half strength is usually recommended but it is important to flush the pot
through every now and then to stop a build up of salts, your method is
similar to how the growers do it.
Best to use rainwater at room temp and don't be too dogmatic about how often
you water it, feel the pot and water when light. I sometimes water every
couple of days in the summer.
Also water first thing in the morning as any water left on/in the plant
overnight when the temp drops can cause rot of the crown.
Another point is that the roots are the key to success with Phals, keep them
growing with nice big green tips and your plant will thrive IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-01-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john bently" wrote in message
Despite reading all sorts of complicated stuff on keeping orchids, ours
bought from morrisons supermarkets seem to do really well standing in our
living room just inside a south facing window and they flower repeatedly.

we stand the pots in a bowl of tepid water for twenty minutes every two
weeks.

One thing we are not sure about is exactly how to feed them. We have some
phostrogen plant food and wondered to what strength we should dilute it
when we stand the orchids in it to water them? Thanks for any advice.

Phostrogens' own instructions suggest feeding once a month during the
growing period. Use at half strength, ie: 1/2 level teaspoonful (2.25g)
dissolved in 9 litres (2 gallons) water.

What they don't say is that you should miss out the feed at every 3rd or 4th
watering to avoid a build-up of chemical salts.

Spider