GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   where to order plug plants etc. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189243-where-order-plug-plants-etc.html)

Janet Tweedy 22-01-2010 02:54 PM

where to order plug plants etc.

I don't normally buy plug plants but two people whose gardens I maintain
have asked me to get their bedding/tubs/hanging basket plants this year.
There's so many places to choose from i have no idea where to start!
I know one lady would like scented petunias but other than that I am
probably looking for best deals/best bargains.

Can anyone recommend sources please? I could go to the Davies brothers
nurseries over near Burnham when they open in the spring but it's very
tempting to buy over the Internet or by post as I can do that anytime.,

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Alan 22-01-2010 03:59 PM

where to order plug plants etc.

In message , Janet Tweedy
wrote

it's very tempting to buy over the Internet or by post as I can do
that anytime.,

Avoid Thompson and Morgan! Poor quality plants with barely any roots and
a couple of leaves. Nothing resembling the "perfect plug plant" pictures
in the catalogues. Shipped too early and don't survive very well in the
postal system.

--
Alan

Dave Hill 22-01-2010 05:11 PM

On 22 Jan, 14:54, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I don't normally buy plug plants but two people whose gardens I maintain
have asked me to get their bedding/tubs/hanging basket plants this year.
There's so many places to choose from i have no idea where to start!
I know one lady would like scented petunias but other than that I am
probably looking for best deals/best bargains.

Can anyone recommend sources please? I could go to the Davies brothers
nurseries over near Burnham when they open in the spring but it's very
tempting to buy over the Internet or by post as I can do that anytime.,

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Jan you have supprised ne, normaly you are more precise, not asking
something like where can I buy a pit of string.
What sort of quantities? How many varieties? Mini or Maxi Plugs?
You could try http://www.jerseyplantsdirect.com/
Not bad quality and fairly prompt delivery.
David hill

Janet Tweedy 22-01-2010 06:11 PM

where to order plug plants etc.

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
Jan you have supprised ne, normaly you are more precise, not asking
something like where can I buy a pit of string.
What sort of quantities? How many varieties? Mini or Maxi Plugs?
You could try http://www.jerseyplantsdirect.com/
Not bad quality and fairly prompt delivery.
David hill

Ah well it would only be the ordinary amount of stuff if you see what i
mean. Enough for about 8 pots and tubs per garden. varieties aren't the
problem, they just want stuff for hanging baskets etc., so I'm thinking
petunias, maybe geraniums, lobelia, stuff I wouldn't like to bring on in
my greenhouse as it seems more economic to buy plugs,

Fuchsias i can do from cuttings but as i don't really like tubs and
baskets i don't tend to grow a lot of bedding stuff. I was trying to
dissuade them from pansies as it's a boring job deadheading the things
and then they get mildew anyway if they are in the sun a lot.

Hope this makes things clearer. As I said i don't normally do stuff like
this for myself so I am going to have to hunt up quantities per
tub/basket etc.

Janet

Spider[_2_] 22-01-2010 10:46 PM

where to order plug plants etc.

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Janet Tweedy
wrote

it's very tempting to buy over the Internet or by post as I can do that
anytime.,

Avoid Thompson and Morgan! Poor quality plants with barely any roots and a
couple of leaves. Nothing resembling the "perfect plug plant" pictures in
the catalogues. Shipped too early and don't survive very well in the
postal system.

--
Alan

I could say just the same of Parkers. I buy their bulbs, but that's all.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London,

Janet Tweedy 23-01-2010 01:55 PM

where to order plug plants etc.

In article
,
countymayo.j writes

You could try *http://www.jerseyplantsdirect.com/
Not bad quality and fairly prompt delivery.
David hill

They seem to carry most of what i would want David so thank you for that
link. Will they be more in need of warmth than those from the mainland?

Janet

Kate Morgan 23-01-2010 03:34 PM

where to order plug plants etc.

snip
Not David but - they're grown under glass and Jersey's had some cold
weather lately, so I'd be surprised if there's much difference! And
there's these people as well who offer different sizes of plugs:
http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/PLA...efault,pg.html
--
Sacha

I was going to mention Gardening Direct but Sacha has got there before me
:-) Good people to deal with and very good plants :-)

kate

Granity 23-01-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy (Post 875367)

I brought from these people last year, packs of 90 plugs of various plants, all went well. http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/FunkyFlora