GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leylandii for burning? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189314-leylandii-burning.html)

Muddymike 30-01-2010 05:41 PM

Leylandii for burning?

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 29 Jan, 20:14, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

Yes, where are you, and have you got photos?

I am in North Yorkshire, no photos at present but can do
tomorrow.

Mike

Muddymike 30-01-2010 05:41 PM

Leylandii for burning?

"Rod" wrote in message
On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:
"Christina wrote in
message ...

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for
turning? Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

Te he.

Mike

alan.holmes 02-02-2010 07:40 PM

Leylandii for burning?

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:41:36 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:39:43 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article
,
John L wrote:

A bit late to ask because I've just finished sawing up about half a ton!
However there is another ton to come.

What's leylandii like as a fuel (open fire, and/or wood burner)?

Open fire - awful - it spits, like most conifers.

Wood burner - no problem.

In the film Ripley's Game there is a demo of how well they burn in situ.

We burn Leylandii logs regularly on an open fire. Doesn't burn as well
as hardwood, but it does burn. Never had a problem with spitting, in
fact I would say it doesn't spit and I'm surprised to hear others say
it does, but ours is well dried under cover, like at least 6 months.

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?

SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

Alan

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 02-02-2010 09:28 PM

Leylandii for burning?

John L wrote:
A bit late to ask because I've just finished sawing up about half a ton!
However there is another ton to come.

What's leylandii like as a fuel (open fire, and/or wood burner)?
Open fire - awful - it spits, like most conifers.

Wood burner - no problem.
In the film Ripley's Game there is a demo of how well they burn in situ.

We burn Leylandii logs regularly on an open fire. Doesn't burn as well
as hardwood, but it does burn. Never had a problem with spitting, in
fact I would say it doesn't spit and I'm surprised to hear others say
it does, but ours is well dried under cover, like at least 6 months.

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?

SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

It burns, but I'm told, not too well.

Much better used for carving or woodturning. English walnut is OK for
rifle stocks, but not, a gunsmith tells me, for shotgun stocks.

--
Rusty

[email protected] 02-02-2010 09:28 PM

Leylandii for burning?

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?

SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

It burns, but I'm told, not too well.

Much better used for carving or woodturning. English walnut is OK for
rifle stocks, but not, a gunsmith tells me, for shotgun stocks.

It burns perfectly well. You need heartwood for woodwork, and I
have used both a rotten walnut and (large) prunings for firewood.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

K 02-02-2010 09:52 PM

Leylandii for burning?

alan.holmes writes

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?

Are you getting rid of your tree? It's what I always think of whenever I
think of you ;-)

SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

--
Kay

Muddymike 02-02-2010 10:08 PM

Leylandii for burning?

alan.holmes writes

Can we use walnut on a fire indoors?
SWMBO seems to think it is ot a good idea.

Check out.
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...tes/info/2018/

Mike

Emilio 08-04-2010 04:44 AM

Any wood can be burnt if it is seasoned properly. Seasoning of wood takes a lot of time. Some wood takes around one year to be seasoned while some take many years to be seasoned. Leylandii takes about a year to be seasoned after that it will burn alright.