GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bloody birds! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189613-bloody-birds.html)

alan.holmes 16-02-2010 04:49 PM

Bloody birds!

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the *******
birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the green veg?

Alan

®óñ© © ²°¹° 16-02-2010 04:54 PM

Bloody birds!

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:49:09 -0000, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the *******
birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the green veg?

Let them eat cake.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Bob Hobden 16-02-2010 05:00 PM

Bloody birds!

"alan.holmes" wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the *******
birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year rotation.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

alan.holmes 16-02-2010 07:23 PM

Bloody birds!

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the *******
birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year rotation.

I have wondered about something like that, but the price has been putting me
off!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

alan.holmes 16-02-2010 07:28 PM

Bloody birds!

On 2010-02-16 16:49:09 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the *******
birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the green veg?

Alan

A veg/fruit cage, Alan. They have to eat, too but I know it's a shame
when it's your produce! The crow scarer is already going off round here
but our rooks are turning up their beaks at it. ;-)

Is a rook scarer one of those things which is like a gun going off?

If it is I don't think it would go down well with my neighbours!

As I said in another post I have been considering it, will have to check the
prices, and where do I have to go to find one?

Alan

--
Sacha

Christina Websell[_2_] 16-02-2010 07:35 PM

Bloody birds!

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the
******* birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the
green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year rotation.

I have wondered about something like that, but the price has been putting
me off!

If you don't want to go the expense of building a cage, just drape the green
netting over your veggies.
Or shoot the pigeons, woodpigeon breast is marvellous eating. It's yummy.
Tina

Pam Moore[_2_] 16-02-2010 07:40 PM

Bloody birds!

wrote:

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the *******
birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the green veg?

Alan

My allotment neighbour grows some wonderful brassicas under a
home-made cage. Some posts hammered in, with jam-jars, yogurt pots or
similar upturned on each, and then the net fixed over it. You need to
keep the net away from the leaves.

Pam in Bristol

Pete C[_2_] 16-02-2010 07:55 PM

Bloody birds!

wrote:

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the
******* birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the
green veg?

Alan

My allotment neighbour grows some wonderful brassicas under a
home-made cage. Some posts hammered in, with jam-jars, yogurt pots or
similar upturned on each, and then the net fixed over it. You need to
keep the net away from the leaves.

Pam in Bristol

Or a netted tunnel. B & Q do 25mm blue plastic water piep. I think it's
about "20 a roll. Not sure if that is 25/50Mt though. If you erect then fix
the netting to the hoops , when not neded it concertinas down for neat
storage :)
--

Pete C
London. UK.

Gopher 16-02-2010 08:36 PM

Bloody birds!

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the
******* birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the
green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year rotation.

I have wondered about something like that, but the price has been putting
me off!

If you don't want to go the expense of building a cage, just drape the green
netting over your veggies.
Or shoot the pigeons, woodpigeon breast is marvellous eating. It's yummy.
Tina

Better than magpie?..... ;-)))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Dave Hill 16-02-2010 09:09 PM

Bloody birds!

wrote:

[...]

London. UK.- Hide quoted text -

I can't grow greens because of Rabbits and flying vermin.
My late neighbour kept fantails, then when he died his wife has kept
them, problem is they have crossed with Wood Pigeons, now the flock is
almost 30 strong, and I can't go shooting them.
I have wondered about usaing a hawk type bird scarer
David Hill

Jon[_9_] 17-02-2010 02:28 PM

Bloody birds!

On 17 Feb, 11:07, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:36:30 +0000, Gopher wrote:
In message , Christina Websell
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" *wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the
******* birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the
green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year rotation.

I have wondered about something like that, but the price has been putting
me off!

If you don't want to go the expense of building a cage, just drape the green
netting over your veggies.
Or shoot the pigeons, woodpigeon breast is marvellous eating. It's yummy.
Tina

Better than magpie?..... ;-)))

Better than wrung neck parakeet?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

I bought some green netting ( approx 1mtr x 2mtr x two in a pack) from
Poundland last year, almost certain I saw them again this year, worth
checking out anyway.

Good Luck.

Gary.

Gopher 17-02-2010 03:00 PM

Bloody birds!

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:36:30 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the
******* birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the
green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year rotation.

I have wondered about something like that, but the price has been putting
me off!

If you don't want to go the expense of building a cage, just drape the green
netting over your veggies.
Or shoot the pigeons, woodpigeon breast is marvellous eating. It's yummy.
Tina

Better than magpie?..... ;-)))

Better than wrung neck parakeet?

Mmmmmm. Yum Yum!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Christina Websell[_2_] 17-02-2010 06:49 PM

Bloody birds!

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Christina Websell
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

My green veg has been destroyed by the damned birds, the sprouts and
another, whose name I cannot remember, have been decimated by the
******* birds, how can I stop the damned things from getting at the
green veg?

Netting, we treated ourselves to a large 6m x 6m fruit cage for our
brassicas and move it every year in accordance with our 4 year
rotation.

I have wondered about something like that, but the price has been
putting
me off!

If you don't want to go the expense of building a cage, just drape the
green
netting over your veggies.
Or shoot the pigeons, woodpigeon breast is marvellous eating. It's yummy.
Tina

Better than magpie?..... ;-)))

I haven't tried eating one.
Tina

Christina Websell[_2_] 17-02-2010 06:51 PM

Bloody birds!

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:36:30 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

[...]

They haven't reached Leics yet.
Tina

Gopher 17-02-2010 10:12 PM

Bloody birds!

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:36:30 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote

[...]

They're getting closer by the season. Two years max - then you'll have a
multi coloured, longer tailed magpie type to haunt you :-)) And they are
so noisy; much more so than the original b & w version.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!