Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
SMS SMS is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On 01/04/10 9:54 AM, Gordon wrote:
On 01/04/2010 16:36, SMS wrote:

In the U.S. we use gaiters to prevent snow or water from coming in over
the top. Also, in areas where you'd likely be stepping into puddles or
streams it's best to get a higher boot.

And thus having an already waterproof boot as in dressed leather
absolutely negates any advantage in having a membrane lining!

Yes if you're getting a full-grain leather boot and using Sno-Seal or
other wax product, then the boots are essentially waterproof without the
need for a membrane.

For better or for worse, not many people spend the money on full grain
leather hiking boots or hiking shoes. Part of it may be weight related.
The waterproof-breathable membrane, GoreTex or other, is necessary on
boots and shoes that are not sealed, full grain leather. However
remember that not everyone seals full grain leather because it affects
the breathability. That's why higher end full-grain leather hiking boots
still usually have a GoreTex membrane.

Just look at what the military specifies, as I referenced in an earlier
post. They aren't looking to save a few bucks, they want the best
product for the job. That's why you see them using a GoreTex membrane in
boots.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

SMS wrote:

For ice climbing this is the case, but for XC skiing the trousers won't
be damaged by anything

My XC skis have steel edges. Which I sharpen occasionally. They'll
carve up lightweight overtrousers easily enough.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old 21-04-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking

On Apr 21, 4:54*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
SMS wrote:
For ice climbing this is the case, but for XC skiing the trousers won't
be damaged by anything

My XC skis have steel edges. *Which I sharpen occasionally. *They'll
carve up lightweight overtrousers easily enough.

Heh. I just had a flash of ninja ski warriors, trekking through the
snow in their *white* ninja gear, with spring loaded knife edges
on their skis. And flame throwing ski poles. And avalanche tiggering
secret chants. And polar bear summoning. Oooh! Maybe a good
idea for a comic book.
Socks
Old 21-04-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
SMS SMS is offline

On 21/04/10 1:54 AM, Peter Clinch wrote:
SMS wrote:

For ice climbing this is the case, but for XC skiing the trousers won't
be damaged by anything

My XC skis have steel edges. Which I sharpen occasionally. They'll
carve up lightweight overtrousers easily enough.

Ditto. Ditto.

What you're supposed to do is to keep the sharp steel edges against the
snow, not against your pants. I've mastered that skill, even while
telemarking. Apparently not everyone has.