GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   .Citrus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189660-citrus.html)

Dave Hill 19-02-2010 03:22 PM

.Citrus

Someone was asking here the other week about buying Citrus tree/bush/
plant.
Was in Aldi this morning and they had some very good Lemon bushes for
just £12 99, no variety but so good I treated myself to one, also a
Loquat as well, absolutly covered in fruit.
David Hill

Jeff Layman[_2_] 20-02-2010 03:09 PM

.Citrus

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Someone was asking here the other week about buying Citrus tree/bush/
plant.
Was in Aldi this morning and they had some very good Lemon bushes for
just £12 99, no variety but so good I treated myself to one, also a
Loquat as well, absolutly covered in fruit.
David Hill

I hope you aren't going to throw out the loquat seeds!

They seem to germinate very well and make good garden plants, which are a
lot hardier than many gardening books say. I suppose we'd need an
exceptional summer and autumn to get any fruit, but IMHO the plant is worth
growing for the foliage alone.

--

Jeff

David WE Roberts 20-02-2010 05:04 PM

.Citrus

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Someone was asking here the other week about buying Citrus tree/bush/
plant.
Was in Aldi this morning and they had some very good Lemon bushes for
just £12 99, no variety but so good I treated myself to one, also a
Loquat as well, absolutly covered in fruit.
David Hill

Thanks - may go and have a look.
I quite fancy a second tree.

I am in a 'Catch 22' with my current lemon tree.
I brought it into the house at the beginning of the cold spell because it
was showing signs of suffering.
[I didn't have a cool outside place to store it]

It has now perked up a little too much.
After all the original new growth had turned black and crumbly and dropped
off it started growing again.
Because it is in a warm house it is growing quite strongly.
If I don't water it the new shoots droop.
If I do water it then it grows.

I can't put it back outside because of the hard frosts - I think it may be
another month or so before I can start hardening it off again.

I just hope it doesn't take over the whole dining room.

Who knows, though - it may flower :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Spider[_2_] 20-02-2010 05:46 PM

.Citrus

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Someone was asking here the other week about buying Citrus tree/bush/
plant.
Was in Aldi this morning and they had some very good Lemon bushes for
just £12 99, no variety but so good I treated myself to one, also a
Loquat as well, absolutly covered in fruit.
David Hill

I hope you aren't going to throw out the loquat seeds!

They seem to germinate very well and make good garden plants, which are a
lot hardier than many gardening books say. I suppose we'd need an
exceptional summer and autumn to get any fruit, but IMHO the plant is
worth growing for the foliage alone.
--
Jeff

We have a huge Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) in our garden grown from a seed
my m-i-l germinated. It has produced fruit two or three times, but I doubt
we'll have any this year because the winter weather has been too hard.
I'll feed it well in the spring and hope for a good summer. Perhaps we'll
have fruit again in 2011. Long time to wait, though:(.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London,

David WE Roberts 22-02-2010 12:56 PM

.Citrus

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Someone was asking here the other week about buying Citrus tree/bush/
plant.
Was in Aldi this morning and they had some very good Lemon bushes for
just £12 99, no variety but so good I treated myself to one, also a
Loquat as well, absolutly covered in fruit.
David Hill

No loquats left, but I did get a nice lemon tree with a couple of quids
worth of lemons on :-)

Now I just have to make room for it inside until the weather improves.

Cheers

Dave R