Old 21-02-2010, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Default Felling Trees now

Can someone please point me to the legislation about felling trees during
the bird's nesting period.

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done when
the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

Many thanks

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 21-02-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
Can someone please point me to the legislation about felling trees during
the bird's nesting period.

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done when
the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

Many thanks

Mike

I assume there must be a good reason for the proposed felling , disease
or rot setting in perhaps? Make sure there isn't a preservation order on
it, otherwise you may need to apply to the Planning dep for permission
which shouldn't be a problem if it's rotten or diseased to an extent
that it may be a health & safety issue.
You are probably aware of this anyway, just my two pence worth in case.
Don
Old 21-02-2010, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Donwill wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
Can someone please point me to the legislation about felling trees
during the bird's nesting period.

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done
when the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

Many thanks

Mike

I assume there must be a good reason for the proposed felling ,
disease or rot setting in perhaps? Make sure there isn't a
preservation order on it, otherwise you may need to apply to the
Planning dep for permission which shouldn't be a problem if it's
rotten or diseased to an extent that it may be a health & safety issue.
You are probably aware of this anyway, just my two pence worth in case.
Don

Sorry, forgot this.
http://www.ecotreecare.co.uk/wildlife-conservation.htm
Hope it helps.
Don
Old 21-02-2010, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Donwill wrote:
Donwill wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

If it is rotten and dangerous then the birds will have to accept loss of
their nests this year.

--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated
Old 21-02-2010, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Donwill" wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Many thanks Donwill. That was the link I wanted, especially the extract :-

""The nesting season is generally considered to be from early march to late
August*. Even then there will still be many birds tending to chicks in nests
well in to September. Note though that birds can and do nest earlier and
later than this. They don't do dates! Hedge pruning and clearing of dense
vegetation in a woodland should be restricted during these times as it is
nigh on impossible to ensure that there are no nesting birds.""

No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

Mike

Old 21-02-2010, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Broadback" wrote in message
I assume there must be a good reason for the proposed felling ,
disease or rot setting in perhaps? Make sure there isn't a
preservation order on it, otherwise you may need to apply to the
Planning dep for permission which shouldn't be a problem if it's
rotten or diseased to an extent that it may be a health & safety issue.
You are probably aware of this anyway, just my two pence worth in case.
Don

Sorry, forgot this.
http://www.ecotreecare.co.uk/wildlife-conservation.htm
Hope it helps.
Don

If it is rotten and dangerous then the birds will have to accept loss of
their nests this year.

--

Not sure if there is a TPO on it, but that is not any problem because of the
risk it is presenting.

Mike

Old 21-02-2010, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
"Donwill" wrote in message

Donwill wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

[...]

Don't forget the bats, they are also a protected species.

If it has a TPO on it, they will still need planning permission to fell
it, a tree inspector will decide on the H & S aspect after inspecting
the tree and making out his/her report so I believe.

Don
Old 21-02-2010, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done
when the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

If it's council owned and on council ground then surely it's up to
them to take it down? If it is in danger of falling down as you
suggest then they should be amenable to suggesting they get a move on
and bring in the tree surgeons before the equinoctal gales come along
and topple it on somebody.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 21-02-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done
when the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

If it's council owned and on council ground then surely it's up to
them to take it down? If it is in danger of falling down as you
suggest then they should be amenable to suggesting they get a move on
and bring in the tree surgeons before the equinoctal gales come along
and topple it on somebody.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Yes you are on the ball there Phil and letters and correspondence have been
going backwards and forwards. A massive report was done in 2007 and the
recommendation there was that it came down, but it was only pollarded.
Things have moved on and a felling order has been requested, but it is the
timetable with the birds nesting and the law/stipulations etc which may
delay felling until the Autumn which in turn brings in other factors. Rather
long and involved story I won't bore you with ;-) like ""That tree is
healthy no you cannot fell it"" and two years later it crashes and
demolishes a Barn!!

Mike

Old 21-02-2010, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
"Phil wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

[...]

The procedure for having trees with a TPO has changed. What you need to
do is get some estimates from tree surgeons. When you make your
selection then the tree surgeon will handle the paper work with the
council concerned. This has been done to standardise the procedure. In
due course the council TPO officer will arrive and either approve or
disapprove the work to be undertaken. Of course if the tree is an
immediate danger then a rush needs to be put on.

Old 21-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
Can someone please point me to the legislation about felling trees during
the bird's nesting period.

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done when
the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

Many thanks

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk
Did not think many British birds liked nesting in Horse Chestnuts - too much branch and too little twig. Most birds will find somewhere else.
Old 22-02-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

In article , 'Mike'
writes
No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

Ah, the usual excuse to get rid of an inconvenient tree.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 22-02-2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , 'Mike'
writes
No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

Ah, the usual excuse to get rid of an inconvenient tree.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Not ""Inconvenient"" at all, just dangerous to the extent that if/when it
falls, it falls across a house. The owner has stated that he is more than
willing to replace it with more suitable trees. In fact he has suggested
more suitable ones to be planted AT HIS EXPENSE, note that AT HIS EXPENSE,
if said tree is felled.

Might I respectfully suggest that before you open your very biased mouth,
you do a little research or even ask a few questions into the matter?

In your blind one sided 'tree huggers' view, you failed to notice that
elsewhere in the thread, I reported that a "perfectly healthy tree', as
reported by the Council, fell a couple of years later demolishing part of a
barn, but you wouldn't wish to know that would you? Goes against your tree
hugger's outlook.

A tip. ""Engage brain before engaging fingers on a keyboard on a matter you
know sod all about""

Kindest possible regards

Mike

Old 23-02-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

But earlier you said:

No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

So which of your statements was the lie?

Old 23-02-2010, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

But earlier you said:

No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

So which of your statements was the lie?

What teh F*** are you telking about?

Replacing a tree does not make the new one a health and safety problem!

Alan

Felling trees, the alternative way! Bob Hobden United Kingdom 36 22-03-2009 03:17 PM
I am looking for Tree Felling Insurance ?? United Kingdom 2 19-09-2003 06:22 PM
[IBC] Fall is felling Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-09-2003 02:27 AM
[IBC] Fall is felling Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-09-2003 02:23 AM
Tree Felling Siggy United Kingdom 17 22-08-2003 06:17 AM