Old 21-02-2010, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond water level

Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?
--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated
Old 21-02-2010, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

Do you mean the level is lower now than when frozen, or lower than before
the freezing? Water attains it maximum density at 4 deg C, and either
cooling or warming from that point results in expansion. This will change
the level, but not "substantially"

It's either leaked away, or evaporated away, or someone/something has
removed it. Evaporation and theft can be considered unlikely, so it looks as
if you have a leak.

What type of pond and/or liner is it?

Steve

Old 21-02-2010, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?
--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

It could easily be either, which is not much help, I know :~(. It could be
down to drying winds and plants taking it up, if there are any. What
construction is the pond?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London,

Old 21-02-2010, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote...
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

If your weather has been anything like ours, it hasn't stopped raining
recently topping up our pond in the process, it's very likely you have
leak.

If it's a concrete pond frost can do that and you may have to empty it to
find the problem/crack, possibly put a liner in. If it's a liner pond then
let the water drop and where it stops dropping you will find the leak,
normally where some animal has clawed it's way out, there are patches for
liners.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-02-2010, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Broadback" wrote...
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

If your weather has been anything like ours, it hasn't stopped raining
recently topping up our pond in the process, it's very likely you have
leak.

If it's a concrete pond frost can do that and you may have to empty it
to find the problem/crack, possibly put a liner in. If it's a liner pond
then let the water drop and where it stops dropping you will find the
leak, normally where some animal has clawed it's way out, there are
patches for liners.

Since the cold spell started we have had (until last night) very little
snow or rain. the level has dropped significantly from the level it was
before freezing to now it is no longer frozen. It is a lined pond.

Old 21-02-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote...
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

If your weather has been anything like ours, it hasn't stopped raining
recently topping up our pond in the process, it's very likely you have
leak.

If it's a concrete pond frost can do that and you may have to empty it
to find the problem/crack, possibly put a liner in. If it's a liner pond
then let the water drop and where it stops dropping you will find the
leak, normally where some animal has clawed it's way out, there are
patches for liners.

Since the cold spell started we have had (until last night) very little
snow or rain. the level has dropped significantly from the level it was
before freezing to now it is no longer frozen. It is a lined pond.

Frost and freezing don't normally affect liner ponds as the liner is able to
move and will not be damaged in the process. Even in winter with dry air it
is possible that evaporation will account for some drop in water level, is
the water drop worse than in a normal summer?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-02-2010, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

I'm masochistic and have three ponds - but I love what they bring to the
garden. All have liners with a "promised" lifespan over 20 - 25 years.
They have done 8 so far. The main one has a problem similar to yours -
except that I _know_ it has a leak. During the summer I let it empty
itself until the level remained more or less constant then tracked the
"tideline" until I found the hole - made I believe by a heron. It was
more of a slash than a neat puncture. So I fixed it with the special
adhesive and a piece of spare liner. But there is now another leak - and
I don't know where. Once the ice melted the level fell considerably. I'm
considering options :-))

Regardless of what your pond is made of (liner, pre-formed "plastic",
concrete or whatever) it is a bit of a pain when it springs a leak. With
a liner you have the option of emptying it totally saving fish, plants
etc. as you go and then laying another liner inside the existing one.
But it's expensive and a lot of work.

In direct answer to your question - I would bet it is a leak rather than
natural dehydration. Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 21-02-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:08:44 +0000, Gopher wrote:

Regardless of what your pond is made of (liner, pre-formed "plastic",
concrete or whatever) it is a bit of a pain when it springs a leak. With
a liner you have the option of emptying it totally saving fish, plants
etc. as you go and then laying another liner inside the existing one.
But it's expensive and a lot of work.

Radweld?

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 22-02-2010, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:13:01 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:08:44 +0000, Gopher wrote:

Regardless of what your pond is made of (liner, pre-formed "plastic",
concrete or whatever) it is a bit of a pain when it springs a leak. With
a liner you have the option of emptying it totally saving fish, plants
etc. as you go and then laying another liner inside the existing one.
But it's expensive and a lot of work.

Radweld?

or mustard?

Malcolm

I mended a crack my pond with Duck tape.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.

Old 22-02-2010, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do you have a pump running? via a small stream or external filter?
here in the West Midlands we have rare nights where one of our ponds has not
frozen over, Have 3 small ponds wildlife only only and one with fish which
has pump running into header pool then a small stream back into pond, the
pumped pond does drop water level but the header pool can form a sheet of
ice and over flow, the other ponds can freeze over and water level does drop
afterwards I guess with evaporation.
Any drop of water which you consider serious , leave until water fails to
drop anymore then check at water level for leakage.
Best advice I can give.

Old 22-02-2010, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a
leak?

My money is on a leak. My pond level is now dangerously near to overflowing!

--

Pete C
London. UK.

Old 22-02-2010, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote ...
Broadback wrote:
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a
leak?

My money is on a leak. My pond level is now dangerously near to
overflowing!

After today, mine has.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-02-2010, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

Does it have a pump and a filter? If so, the tank that the water pumps
through may be clogged up with muck and need cleaning. If that happens,
the water can't get through the silt and comes out of the top of the
tank very quickly indeed. The tank may look OK when you lift the lid
and you may not have noticed the water running out of the top. If you
have sponges in the tank, they will need cleaning with water before
replacing in the tank. (A messy but rewarding job). If you have koi,
you must then add the appropriate chemicals to get rid of the chlorine.
(Sorry if someone else has said this - I have only just seen your post
and answered immediately as I have to go and cook now).
--
June Hughes
Old 23-02-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Broadback
writes
Since the cold weather freezing the water my pond level has dropped
substantially. Is that likely to be natural or has it developed a leak?

Does it have a pump and a filter? If so, the tank that the water pumps
through may be clogged up with muck and need cleaning. If that happens,
the water can't get through the silt and comes out of the top of the
tank very quickly indeed. The tank may look OK when you lift the lid and
you may not have noticed the water running out of the top. If you have
sponges in the tank, they will need cleaning with water before replacing
in the tank. (A messy but rewarding job). If you have koi, you must then
add the appropriate chemicals to get rid of the chlorine. (Sorry if
someone else has said this - I have only just seen your post and
answered immediately as I have to go and cook now).

Thanks for all the help, I guess when it warms up a little I will look
for a leak, I have no pump, just fills from rain fall, with the odd top
up in Summer from water butts.