GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Scotch Broom Advice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189746-scotch-broom-advice.html)

Caz6 26-02-2010 09:18 AM

Scotch Broom Advice

We've been given 2 x scotch broom plants (cytisis) and I would like some advice on how to plant and care for them.

They came from a topiary supplier and topiary is how I want to use them i.e. in pots and with a compact head - they already have this look/shape about them.

What's the best way to plant them in pots? what type of pot do I need (e.g. with holes, raised off the ground etc)? And how do I care for them after planting? And how do I prune them each year? I can't plant them in the ground yet as the gardens will be relandscaped in about 3 years time but will consider doing so as part of the landscaping.

I'm a novice gardener and have an awful track record with anything potted (except for when I've planted it in the ground) but must keep these alive (they are a gift from my parents for our engagement) but really don't know where to begin! They're currently in plastic plant pots about 25cm in diameter with bubble wrap around them, stand about 4ft high and have been in my utility room (very light and cool) for a week.

I've also read that this plant can become a noxious weed so very much want to avoid that!

If you need any more info, just ask! Thanks in advance for your advice.

Caz
xxx