GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Smilacina (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/18995-smilacina.html)

Liz & Andy 28-04-2003 10:20 PM

Smilacina

Dear All

At Wisley yesterday I saw some Smilacina Racemosa - like solomon's seal with
fluffy scented flowers. I thought that this was the only variety in
cultivation, but a moment's googling shows that there are many - Stellata,
Purpurea, Paniculata, Japonica etc, available from Crug plants or Beeches
nursery among others. Do Urglers rate any of the others as undiscovered
treasures, or are they for curiosity value only? I liked the Racemosa for
the scent and form but wouldn't mind something more compact. Plus, do they
get skeletonised by sawfly like Solomon's Seal?

liz