GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to do with extra soil ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190175-what-do-extra-soil.html)

duncspur 17-03-2010 12:17 AM

What to do with extra soil ?

Our flats have a shared rear 250 square foot garden. Nobody did anything with it for years and it fell into pretty bad shape.

I have managed to restore about two thirds of it as (uneven and patchy) lawn with some flower beds. The rear third of it, however, is a series of 2 foot bumps and is a mixture of rubble, soil, weeds, etc. I am slowly digging it over and so far have dug up about 3 tons of soil which I have then finely sifted into large piles.

My plan is to spread this over the existing lawn, thereby evening out the bumps in the existing lawn. If I was to put about an inch of this sieved soil all over the lawn, will the grass that is there at the moment grow through ?

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 17-03-2010 10:30 AM

What to do with extra soil ?

In article ,
says...

--
duncspur

Yes, but I tend to apply seed as well to speed things up
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

~Brian~ 17-03-2010 11:15 AM

What to do with extra soil ?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

Our flats have a shared rear 250 square foot garden. Nobody did
anything with it for years and it fell into pretty bad shape.

I have managed to restore about two thirds of it as (uneven and
patchy) lawn with some flower beds. The rear third of it, however,
is a series of 2 foot bumps and is a mixture of rubble, soil, weeds,
etc. I am slowly digging it over and so far have dug up about 3
tons of soil which I have then finely sifted into large piles.

My plan is to spread this over the existing lawn, thereby evening out
the bumps in the existing lawn. If I was to put about an inch of
this sieved soil all over the lawn, will the grass that is there at
the moment grow through ?

--
duncspur

Yes, but I tend to apply seed as well to speed things up

Agreed! I had some low lying patches last year as a result of turning a veg
patch over to lawn with the inevitable settling (some of them almost holes).
I filled the low areas with soil and levelled it off and applied a good
quality seed just below the surface. It has now almost recovered and is
looking pretty good.

duncspur 18-03-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Brian~ (Post 880458)
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks All, will seed it as wll

Christina Websell[_2_] 22-03-2010 06:34 PM

What to do with extra soil ?

"duncspur" wrote in message

Our flats have a shared rear 250 square foot garden. Nobody did
anything with it for years and it fell into pretty bad shape.

I have managed to restore about two thirds of it as (uneven and patchy)
lawn with some flower beds. The rear third of it, however, is a series
of 2 foot bumps and is a mixture of rubble, soil, weeds, etc. I am
slowly digging it over and so far have dug up about 3 tons of soil which
I have then finely sifted into large piles.

My plan is to spread this over the existing lawn, thereby evening out
the bumps in the existing lawn. If I was to put about an inch of this
sieved soil all over the lawn, will the grass that is there at the
moment grow through ?

I'm not an expert on this, but would say no - but it would happily colonised
by any weed seed that blew through.
This would not bother me particularly as any edible weeds I get I view as a
crop for my chickens, but if you wanted a decent lawn, you'd probably have
to plant grass seed on the new soil.
Tina