Old 25-03-2010, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pea or not a pea

Last year I had a sound crop of peas, and when they were finished I grabbed
some to use this year as seeds.
I didn't dig the roots, I cut them at ground level because of nitrogen
fixing and now I see they are growing again!
I like to rotate in my small garden, but what will happen if I leave them
to grow do you think?

They were Kelvedon Wonder and Hurst Greenshaft.

Maybe they dropped some seedsunlikely all along the row since I cut them
very close to the ground.

Marq

Old 25-03-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marq" wrote ...
Last year I had a sound crop of peas, and when they were finished I
grabbed
some to use this year as seeds.
I didn't dig the roots, I cut them at ground level because of nitrogen
fixing and now I see they are growing again!
I like to rotate in my small garden, but what will happen if I leave them
to grow do you think?

You will have an early crop of peas if the frost doesn't get them. I've
never heard of them coming up from overwintered roots before, Runner Beans,
yes, but not peas which I always thought were annuals.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-03-2010, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've never heard of them coming up from overwintered roots before,
Runner Beans, yes, but not peas which I always thought were annuals.

Yep, I thought that too.

Last November between torrential rain etc. I covered the ground with rotted
horse manure and covered it with debris netting to stop cats shi**ing on
it.

I wonder if that has had anything to do with it?

But they are definately peas.

Marq