GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Contents of gutter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190487-contents-gutter.html)

Marq 30-03-2010 11:22 AM

Contents of gutter

I cleaned my gutters out and got about 2 barrows of their contents.
It is dark and had lots of moss on top.
Should I compost it, dig it in or throw it away do you think?

I sowed a few tomatoes seeds in a sample of it and they have germinated so
that makes me think its ok., but is it?

I ask because I clean some neighbours gutters from time to time and it
would be a shame to waste if it is useful.

Thanks
Marq

David in Normandy[_8_] 30-03-2010 11:24 AM

Contents of gutter

On 30/03/2010 12:22, Marq wrote:
I cleaned my gutters out and got about 2 barrows of their contents.
It is dark and had lots of moss on top.
Should I compost it, dig it in or throw it away do you think?

I sowed a few tomatoes seeds in a sample of it and they have germinated so
that makes me think its ok., but is it?

I ask because I clean some neighbours gutters from time to time and it
would be a shame to waste if it is useful.

Thanks
Marq

Sounds like ideal compost material.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Divingbrit 30-03-2010 01:22 PM

Contents of gutter

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:22:47 GMT, Marq wrote:

I cleaned my gutters out and got about 2 barrows of their contents.

Used it for years with no problem, add to compost heap

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
www.lincolnshire2012.com

Marq 30-03-2010 01:30 PM

Contents of gutter

Divingbrit wrote in
:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:22:47 GMT, Marq wrote:

I cleaned my gutters out and got about 2 barrows of their contents.

Used it for years with no problem, add to compost heap

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
www.lincolnshire2012.com

Thanks to all who replied,
Into the compost bin it goes.

Sasha, no lead roofs here where I live, thanks.

I cannot wait till next year to see how it does.

Marq

Christina Websell[_2_] 30-03-2010 05:42 PM

Contents of gutter

"Marq" wrote in message
I cleaned my gutters out and got about 2 barrows of their contents.
It is dark and had lots of moss on top.
Should I compost it, dig it in or throw it away do you think?

I sowed a few tomatoes seeds in a sample of it and they have germinated so
that makes me think its ok., but is it?

I ask because I clean some neighbours gutters from time to time and it
would be a shame to waste if it is useful.

I always compost mine - but if the gutters haven't been cleared for a year
or two it's usually composted itself!
So - think it's fine to use.
Unless anyone else has dire warnings..
Tina

alan.holmes 30-03-2010 07:20 PM

Contents of gutter

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 30/03/2010 12:22, Marq wrote:
I cleaned my gutters out and got about 2 barrows of their contents.
It is dark and had lots of moss on top.
Should I compost it, dig it in or throw it away do you think?

I sowed a few tomatoes seeds in a sample of it and they have germinated
so
that makes me think its ok., but is it?

I ask because I clean some neighbours gutters from time to time and it
would be a shame to waste if it is useful.

Thanks
Marq

Sounds like ideal compost material.

Grumble, grumble, that's what I was ging to say!(:-(

Alan