Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Hardy Hibiscus

Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
David Hill
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.

Obviously not the usual H syriacus, probably a H moscheutos variety or cross
so also probably not quite so hardy and if so will like a lot of water, even
boggy ground . Saw what looked like one of those in a garden on one of my
normal routes so will keep an eye open to see if it survived this last
winter. Did look stunning.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
David Hill

Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that price
they should fly. :-)
Don
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.

Obviously not the usual H syriacus, probably a H moscheutos variety or cross
so also probably not quite so hardy and if so will like a lot of water, even
boggy ground . Saw what looked like one of those in a garden on one of my
normal routes so will keep an eye open to see if it survived this last
winter. Did look stunning.

I grew Hibiscus "palustris" and Hibiscus coccineus from seed a few years
back. The latter turned out to not be very hardy. (If I recall correctly
the first winter in open ground saw them off.) The former have survived
at least until this year - as they are late into growth I can't tell
whether they have survived this winter. But they haven't made much
growth, and have shown no sign of flowering.

I've also tried named cultivars from this group (section Muenchhusia) on
occasion, with little success - they tend to dwindle over the years.

Given it's natural distribution Hibiscus moscheutos should be frost
hardy, and as it's late into leaf I would assume that it's not bothered
by British winter dark. As a marsh plant one would also expect that it
could cope with the wet. So I don't know what the problem is - perhaps
it needs lots and lots of sun in the summer. Or perhaps they need
feeding.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote
Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.

Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 Apr, 14:11, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Donwill" *wrote

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
*12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.

Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? *:-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK *

No,
I cant believe the 12 inch flowers but I've bought 2 sets,
Wonder if we can get our money back if they odnt get to that size?
David Hill
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
*12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? *:-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK *

No,
I cant believe the 12 inch flowers but I've bought 2 sets,
Wonder if we can get our money back if they odnt get to that size?
David Hill

Google for dinner plate Hibiscus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote...
"Bob Hobden"
"Donwill" wrote

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that
price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? :-)

No,
I cant believe the 12 inch flowers but I've bought 2 sets,
Wonder if we can get our money back if they odnt get to that size?

If they are what I saw last year near here, they are big, much bigger and
flatter than the tropical variety, and very stunning.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that
price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

No,
I cant believe the 12 inch flowers but I've bought 2 sets,
Wonder if we can get our money back if they odnt get to that size?
David Hill

Google for dinner plate Hibiscus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Are these related to the "Disco Belle" and "Southern Belle" hybrids?

--

Jeff

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes

In message
,
Dave Hill writes

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For
price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

No,
I cant believe the 12 inch flowers but I've bought 2 sets,
Wonder if we can get our money back if they odnt get to that size?
David Hill

Google for dinner plate Hibiscus.
-- Stewart Robert Hinsley

Are these related to the "Disco Belle" and "Southern Belle" hybrids?

Yes.

Looking at my notes, cultivars said to have 12 inch flowers are 'Kopper
King' (moscheutos x coccineus x militaris) and 'Moy Grande' ('Southern
Belle' x grandiflorus). I would expect these to be less hardy than the
purebred moscheutos.

[But I've only got figures for 4 cultivars, out of in excess of 100, so
I don't really know what a typical size is, though 6 inches seems
reasonable.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:11:00 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Donwill" wrote
Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.

Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For that price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? :-)

I've ordered some too. Cannot believe the 12" claim, but it may be
like a fishing story or other over-rated size claim!!!
We'll be able to compare.

Pam in Bristol

Hardy, large flowered hibiscus Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 21-04-2010 07:10 PM
Winter hardy hibiscus Ted Gardening 11 20-08-2005 12:28 PM
Hardy Hibiscus Paulo Gardening 8 18-04-2005 05:31 PM
Hardy Hibiscus hasn't shown sign of life yet. Karen Gardening 3 01-07-2004 04:02 PM
Caterpillars eating hardy hibiscus Tony Gardening 5 27-06-2003 01:32 AM