GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rocket seed again (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190611-rocket-seed-again.html)

Christina Websell[_2_] 03-04-2010 09:49 PM

Rocket seed again

Now all the boys have amused themselves in reply to my last post, can any
sensible person tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

Tina

Dave Hill 03-04-2010 10:09 PM

Rocket seed again

On 3 Apr, 21:49, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Now all the boys have amused themselves in reply to my last post, can any
sensible person tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

Tina

At the risk of upseting you.
You dont say where you are.

If in Scottland then most certainly NBG sowing till at least mid April
If Cornwall then poss even mid Feb.
If you had sown them here in South Wales then the cold and the 6
inches plus of rain would have put paid to them
No matter how much assurance you get from the directions on the
packet, they are only general guidence, not hard and fast rules.
You could try again under a closh to protect from the weather, and
dont forget the slugs might enjoy an early snack of very young Rocket.
David Hill

Bertie Doe 03-04-2010 10:35 PM

Rocket seed again

Here's some info from Jekkas Herb Farm-
"Sow seeds in early spring under protection at 18°C
(65°F). Sow thinly and cover with perlite. Germination
usually takes 5-10 days. Alternativley, sow seeds in
late spring or early summer, when the air temperature
at night does not fall below 7° C (45° F), the soil has
warmed and all danger of frost has passed."

Full content-
http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/HerbWildRocket.asp

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 04-04-2010 11:35 AM

Rocket seed again

Bertie Doe wrote:
Here's some info from Jekkas Herb Farm-
"Sow seeds in early spring under protection at 18°C (65°F). Sow thinly
and cover with perlite. Germination usually takes 5-10 days.
Alternativley, sow seeds in late spring or early summer, when the air
temperature at night does not fall below 7° C (45° F), the soil has
warmed and all danger of frost has passed."

Full content-
http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/HerbWildRocket.asp

I'd say you could expect rocket to germinate eventually whatever
temperatures the environment is going through. After all, it is
indigenous, and many varieties are annual.

I'd expect the seeds to come up eventually unless something's noshed them.

--
Rusty

Gopher 04-04-2010 12:26 PM

Rocket seed again

In message , Christina Websell
writes
Now all the boys have amused themselves in reply to my last post, can any
sensible person tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

Tina

ISTR you are in mid England - Leicestershire-ish. FWIW, in N. Dorset I
sowed rocket and other salad leaves in an old orange box by the back
door about 3 weeks ago. They germinated in about 5 days (a short milder
spell) and they have continued to grow slowly ever since. Provided your
seed is good/viable I suspect you will be seeing green shoots soon. If
you have a portable cold frame, glass or old window to rest over where
you have sowed them it may help the ground to warm up more quickly. They
usually germinate pretty quickly when the ground is warm. This year has
been colder than the average upon which seed packet info is probably
based. HTH.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Christina Websell[_2_] 04-04-2010 05:14 PM

Rocket seed again

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
Here's some info from Jekkas Herb Farm-
"Sow seeds in early spring under protection at 18°C (65°F). Sow thinly
and cover with perlite. Germination usually takes 5-10 days.
Alternativley, sow seeds in late spring or early summer, when the air
temperature at night does not fall below 7° C (45° F), the soil has
warmed and all danger of frost has passed."

Full content-
http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/HerbWildRocket.asp

I'd say you could expect rocket to germinate eventually whatever
temperatures the environment is going through. After all, it is
indigenous, and many varieties are annual.

I'd expect the seeds to come up eventually unless something's noshed them.

Thank you, Rusty. I did maybe plant too early so will wait and see what
happens, and if they don't come up in 4 weeks, I'll just plant some more.
There's more seeds in the packet..
Tina

Steve Harris[_2_] 04-04-2010 11:30 PM

Rocket seed again

In article ,
(Christina Websell) wrote:

tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

I'm not sure bit it may reassure you to know that sowing Rocket seed and
getting NO plants eventually takes serious skill :-)

Also, they self seed easily so you *may* never need to sow any more. A
hard Winter may kill them all and you will need more seeds.

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

No Name 05-04-2010 08:59 PM

Rocket seed again

Christina Websell wrote:
Now all the boys have amused themselves in reply to my last post, can any
sensible person tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

Ours in the cold frame took about 2-3 weeks to germinate. The carrots came
up first, the rocket and lettuce together a few days to a week later.

Christina Websell[_2_] 06-04-2010 06:14 PM

Rocket seed again

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Christina Websell) wrote:

tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

I'm not sure bit it may reassure you to know that sowing Rocket seed and
getting NO plants eventually takes serious skill :-)

LOL!

Also, they self seed easily so you *may* never need to sow any more. A
hard Winter may kill them all and you will need more seeds.

Thanks. I'm a rocket-sowing newbie as you can tell. No sign of them yet.
2 weeks 4 days now (no, I'm not obsessing about those seeds at all,
absolutely not..)
Wot, me? Perish the thought.
Tina

Christina Websell[_2_] 07-04-2010 05:40 PM

Rocket seed again

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
Now all the boys have amused themselves in reply to my last post, can any
sensible person tell me how long rocket seeds take to germinate, please.

Ours in the cold frame took about 2-3 weeks to germinate. The carrots
came
up first, the rocket and lettuce together a few days to a week later.

Thanks. We may have lift off;-) a couple of tiny seedlings have appeared in
the row I sowed them in.
Who was it (Geoff Hamilton perhaps?) who said "plants do actually want to
live, you know, so don't worry too much about them" or words to that
effect.
Tina

SandyAtkins 13-07-2010 04:05 PM

I am also a rocket newbie. I planted my seeds 26th JUne but not sure whether what I see now are weeds or seedlings! What do newly germinated rocket seeds look like?!