GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cordyline Australis berries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190643-cordyline-australis-berries.html)

Donwill[_2_] 05-04-2010 04:57 PM

Cordyline Australis berries

We have three trees planted by a previous owner. A few years ago my
better half collected hundreds of berries off the lawn, kept them and
sowed a few of them.
She was surprised to find that she had almost 100% germination and each
berry yielded approx 20 to 30 seedlings she transplanted about 6
seedlings and passed them around to neighbours when about 10 ins tall.
They are now about 2 ft tall.
She was surprised as I was that there were so many seedlings in the one
berry.
Don

Bob Hobden 05-04-2010 05:44 PM

Cordyline Australis berries

"Donwill" wrote
We have three trees planted by a previous owner. A few years ago my
better half collected hundreds of berries off the lawn, kept them and
sowed a few of them.
She was surprised to find that she had almost 100% germination and each
berry yielded approx 20 to 30 seedlings she transplanted about 6
seedlings and passed them around to neighbours when about 10 ins tall.
They are now about 2 ft tall.
She was surprised as I was that there were so many seedlings in the one
berry.

The Starlings get all ours!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Donwill[_2_] 05-04-2010 05:52 PM

Cordyline Australis berries

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Donwill" wrote
We have three trees planted by a previous owner. A few years ago my
better half collected hundreds of berries off the lawn, kept them and
sowed a few of them.
She was surprised to find that she had almost 100% germination and
each berry yielded approx 20 to 30 seedlings she transplanted about 6
seedlings and passed them around to neighbours when about 10 ins
tall. They are now about 2 ft tall.
She was surprised as I was that there were so many seedlings in the
one berry.

The Starlings get all ours!

Yes, they seem to be the only birds which successfully feed on them,
here they descend on them in massive flocks, but
last year they left enough for SWMBO to repeat the germination successfully.
Cheers
Don