Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree stump killer

I have a 6" stump left from a tree I just chopped down (threatening to break
the drain chamber in my garden that's all of a foot away from the trunk).

No idea what the tree was, but I need to ensure its complete and permanent
demise.

Apart from the old drill-holes-in-stump and pour in diesel/old-sump-oil
trick (don't have any mouldy sump oil to hand anyway) what would be a good
product to use?

Are any of these any good?

http://www.selections.com/GF1911/dee...-stump-killer/

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/bayer-g...ump-killer.asp

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Weedkil.../Roundup-Tree-
Stump+Root-Killer-250ml/invt/0263127

Some of those seem to be glyphospate based, which I *thought* acted on
foliage. I need something that can be applied to the cut trunk end that will
travel through the tree's system.

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I have a 6" stump left from a tree I just chopped down (threatening to
break
the drain chamber in my garden that's all of a foot away from the trunk).

No idea what the tree was, but I need to ensure its complete and permanent
demise.

SBK comes to mind for what you want.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watts View Post
[...]

I've used the Roundup Stump Killer. Drilled a hole in the top of the stump and poured the liquid in using the plastic pipette that comes with it (during a dry period), then topped it up every few days as it soaked into the stump. I can now declare the stump is well and truly dead.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

davej
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 15:16

SBK

Found it - cool, thanks.

--
Tim Watts

Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
I have a 6" stump left from a tree I just chopped down (threatening to break
the drain chamber in my garden that's all of a foot away from the trunk).

No idea what the tree was, but I need to ensure its complete and permanent
demise.

Apart from the old drill-holes-in-stump and pour in diesel/old-sump-oil
trick (don't have any mouldy sump oil to hand anyway) what would be a good
product to use?

Sulphuric acid. (Battery acid.)

--
Rusty

Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 17:44

Tim Watts wrote:
I have a 6" stump left from a tree I just chopped down (threatening to
break the drain chamber in my garden that's all of a foot away from the
trunk).

No idea what the tree was, but I need to ensure its complete and
permanent demise.

Apart from the old drill-holes-in-stump and pour in diesel/old-sump-oil
trick (don't have any mouldy sump oil to hand anyway) what would be a
good product to use?

Sulphuric acid. (Battery acid.)

I've got 20% HCl - would that be any good?

--
Tim Watts

Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

The first one. Either that or anything containing ammonium sulphamate
(not to be confused with ammonium sulphate!). Drill two or three
decent sized deep holes into the top of the stump, pour in crystals of
stump killer, cover with a tile or whatever to keep the rain out.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

E-mail: christopher[dot]hog[at]virgin[dot]net

Ammonium sulphamate was withdrawn from sale over 2 years ago and is not
approved for use in the EU.

--

Jeff

Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

The first one. Either that or anything containing ammonium sulphamate
(not to be confused with ammonium sulphate!). Drill two or three
decent sized deep holes into the top of the stump, pour in crystals of
stump killer, cover with a tile or whatever to keep the rain out.

Ammonium sulphamate was withdrawn from sale over 2 years ago and is not
approved for use in the EU.

Do you have any idea why?

I checked an it is apparently due to the insane requirement that the
halfwitted Irish Rapporteur that insisted on additional gratuitous
animal testing on dogs. This is nothing to do with safety when used by
amateurs. It is entirely to do with insane EEC red tape on chemicals.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/garden.asp?id=1997

Even the Henry Doublespeak organisation considers Ammonium Sulphamate as
a borderline acceptable weedkiller although not strictly Organic(TM).

This is an example of the H&SE at its dumbest. You can bet your bottom
dollar it is still widely available to amateurs elsewhere in Europe
despite a notional EU wide ban. Only the UK blindly enforces this junk.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
davej
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 15:16

SBK

Found it - cool, thanks.

And as strange as it sounds adding a small amount of copper sulphate to
it after a month or so will speed up the decay of the wood - assuming
that is what you want to happen. I levered mine out after it had been
weakened sufficiently but close to drains that isn't a good idea.

A trace of copper salt inhibits the natural fungicides in the wood.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 20:07

Jeff Layman wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

[...]

You can still buy it as a compost accelerator.

--
Tim Watts

Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 22:23

Tim Watts wrote:
davej
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 15:16

SBK

Found it - cool, thanks.

And as strange as it sounds adding a small amount of copper sulphate to
it after a month or so will speed up the decay of the wood - assuming
that is what you want to happen. I levered mine out after it had been
weakened sufficiently but close to drains that isn't a good idea.

A trace of copper salt inhibits the natural fungicides in the wood.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks for that!

--
Tim Watts

Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Tim Watts
writes
I have a 6" stump left from a tree I just chopped down (threatening to break
the drain chamber in my garden that's all of a foot away from the trunk).

No idea what the tree was, but I need to ensure its complete and permanent
demise.

Apart from the old drill-holes-in-stump and pour in diesel/old-sump-oil
trick (don't have any mouldy sump oil to hand anyway) what would be a good
product to use?

Are any of these any good?

http://www.selections.com/GF1911/dee...-stump-killer/

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/bayer-g...ump-killer.asp

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Weedkil.../Roundup-Tree-
Stump+Root-Killer-250ml/invt/0263127

Some of those seem to be glyphospate based, which I *thought* acted on
foliage. I need something that can be applied to the cut trunk end that will
travel through the tree's system.

Glyphosphate is normally applied to foliage, but apparently it can be
used to kill stumps and tree - hence them selling a version for that
purpose. Which seems to be just strongish glyphosphate applied neat
--
Chris French

Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
I have a 6" stump left from a tree I just chopped down (threatening to
break the drain chamber in my garden that's all of a foot away from the
trunk).

No idea what the tree was, but I need to ensure its complete and
permanent demise.

Apart from the old drill-holes-in-stump and pour in diesel/old-sump-oil
trick (don't have any mouldy sump oil to hand anyway) what would be a
good product to use?

Sulphuric acid. (Battery acid.)

I've got 20% HCl - would that be any good?

Not as far as I know.

Sulphuric acid naturally absorbs any moisture it an find, and such that
it does, evaporates to some extent.

It also removes (chemically) the elements of water from many organic
substances, so hydrogen and oxygen are taken from the wood's cellulose
and dilute the acid. The cycle continues until all the acid is
neutralised by contact with bases and some mildly alkaline salts (in the
surrounsing soil and potassium carbonate amongst other salts in the wood.)

The wood is first rendered into a friable condition much like naturally
rotten wood, and if there's still enough acid left, the roots are
reduced mainly to carbon.

This does not happen with HCl.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

The first one. Either that or anything containing ammonium sulphamate
(not to be confused with ammonium sulphate!). Drill two or three
decent sized deep holes into the top of the stump, pour in crystals of
stump killer, cover with a tile or whatever to keep the rain out.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

E-mail: christopher[dot]hog[at]virgin[dot]net

Ammonium sulphamate was withdrawn from sale over 2 years ago and is not
approved for use in the EU.

Must get some and use it!

Applies for Nigel Farage Medal

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

[...]

Quite agree with those sentiments.

If you want a relatively harmles chemical banned for garden use, you can
usually get it from a chemical distributor, who won't ask you what you
want it for, unless it's something which you could blow-up politicians with.

Mind you, you'd have to buy several years' supply...

--
Rusty

Tree stump killer Bob H United Kingdom 4 08-09-2013 08:12 PM
Serial killer captured and charged after 30 years of evading police in the number one small city in the USA- Killer confesses to many more killings Knowledge Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:41 PM
fertilome brush and stump killer Celeste Evans Gardening 5 25-06-2007 03:38 AM
Does anyone know if DEEP ROOT tree.stump and weed killer is any good! rig Gardening 0 04-04-2007 04:19 PM
Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly Sam Alexander Lawns 3 02-05-2006 10:56 PM