GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Straggly pansies - Dorset (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190673-straggly-pansies-dorset.html)

fimonkey 07-04-2010 01:16 PM

Straggly pansies - Dorset

Dear All,

I planted some winter pansies last autumn in pots and containers, but because of the horrid weather they just sat there, no growth and no flowers.

The recent warmth and increase in daylight hours have meant they've now sprung into life and grown prolifically. They are in full flower, but they seem to be reaching up towards the sunshine and have become quite straggly (my 9metre by 2 metre garden is surrounded by high fence so is all v shady this time of year).

Normally this time of year I would be removing them to make way for summer annuals, but their display is lovely, except for the ‘straggliness’.

I have a couple of permanent cool and shady areas in my garden so I’m wondering if I can keep these pansies going all year if I move them to there, and if I dead head them and cut back their straggly tall stalks will they continue to grow?

I’m in Dorset by the way.

Many thanks

Dave Hill 08-04-2010 11:09 AM

Straggly pansies - Dorset

--
fimonkey

Yes to cutting back, and as for moving, if they keep a rootball they
should be OK.
David