GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wood Shavings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190685-wood-shavings.html)

vsop 07-04-2010 06:33 PM

Wood Shavings

After a session of DIY involving carpentry I'm now left with just over 2
buckets of clean untreated pine wood shavings.
Query...... is this material of any use in my garden or greenhouse ?

Best regards........ vsop.

David in Normandy[_8_] 07-04-2010 06:52 PM

Wood Shavings

On 07/04/2010 19:33, vsop wrote:
After a session of DIY involving carpentry I'm now left with just over 2
buckets of clean untreated pine wood shavings.
Query...... is this material of any use in my garden or greenhouse ?

Best regards........ vsop.

Personally I put such things in the compost bin. It all helps for a good
mix. Even if they don't rot down quickly they help break up the soil and
make it lighter.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Fuschia[_3_] 07-04-2010 10:15 PM

Wood Shavings

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:52:12 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 07/04/2010 19:33, vsop wrote:
After a session of DIY involving carpentry I'm now left with just over 2
buckets of clean untreated pine wood shavings.
Query...... is this material of any use in my garden or greenhouse ?

Best regards........ vsop.

Personally I put such things in the compost bin. It all helps for a good
mix. Even if they don't rot down quickly they help break up the soil and
make it lighter.

Yes, provided the wood is untreated it can only help to break up heavy
soil. You need to dig it in of course and not put it on in lumps.