GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help Ident this plant pls (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190779-help-ident-plant-pls.html)

Broadback[_2_] 13-04-2010 07:49 AM

Help Ident this plant pls

Found this among thrown away pots. Can someone identify it for me
please, so that I know if it is worth keeping.
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...8.jpg&newest=1

--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated

Parrotfish 13-04-2010 08:08 AM

Help Ident this plant pls

"Broadback" wrote ...
Found this among thrown away pots. Can someone identify it for me please,
so that I know if it is worth keeping.
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...8.jpg&newest=1
--

Looks like an Aquilegia.

No Name 13-04-2010 12:00 PM

Help Ident this plant pls

Broadback wrote:
Found this among thrown away pots. Can someone identify it for me
please, so that I know if it is worth keeping.
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...8.jpg&newest=1

Looks like the hundreds of columbine I have at a similar stage in the
garden. Keep it in the pot until it flowers and you can decide if you like
it or not. There are so many different flower shapes and colours it comes
in, it's hard to say if it's worth keeping or not till it's flowering!
(imho, obv)

uriel13 14-04-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadback[_2_] (Post 883288)
Found this among thrown away pots. Can someone identify it for me
please, so that I know if it is worth keeping.
Plant picture by Broadback - Photobucket

--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Hi Broadback,

From the leaf form it looks to be a Geranium that is comming out of dormancy.

uriel13

Pam Moore[_2_] 14-04-2010 11:43 AM

Help Ident this plant pls

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:07:23 -0400, uriel13
wrote:

'Broadback[_2_ Wrote:
;883288']Found this among thrown away pots. Can someone identify it for
me
please, so that I know if it is worth keeping.
'Plant picture by Broadback - Photobucket' (http://tinyurl.com/y4npbgv)

To those of us who let aquilegia seed about, that is unquestionably
what this is. It would be worth keeping at least for one year in case
you have an unusual colour.

Pam in Bristol

No Name 14-04-2010 01:26 PM

Help Ident this plant pls

Pam Moore wrote:
To those of us who let aquilegia seed about, that is unquestionably
what this is. It would be worth keeping at least for one year in case
you have an unusual colour.

I still can't believe I /bought/ a columbine plant (about 6 years ago,
before I discovered I had a garden full of them already!) for 4.99!
It's a beautiful colour, baby blue.

Gopher 14-04-2010 02:07 PM

Help Ident this plant pls

In message ,
writes
Pam Moore wrote:
To those of us who let aquilegia seed about, that is unquestionably
what this is. It would be worth keeping at least for one year in case
you have an unusual colour.

I still can't believe I /bought/ a columbine plant (about 6 years ago,
before I discovered I had a garden full of them already!) for 4.99!
It's a beautiful colour, baby blue.

If you ever sow Aquilegia seed in a tray, leave the tray for a few
months after pricking out the seedlings. It is highly probable that a
good number of stragglers will appear well after you have removed the
"main crop". I have known seeds germinate up to 6 months later. They are
such delightful plants that it's always worth stowing the tray with the
remaining compost in a quiet corner somewhere (not necessarily in the
greenhouse - unless you expect frost).
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Broadback[_2_] 15-04-2010 07:40 AM

Help Ident this plant pls

Gopher wrote:
In message ,
writes
Pam Moore wrote:
To those of us who let aquilegia seed about, that is unquestionably
what this is. It would be worth keeping at least for one year in case
you have an unusual colour.

I still can't believe I /bought/ a columbine plant (about 6 years ago,
before I discovered I had a garden full of them already!) for 4.99!
It's a beautiful colour, baby blue.

If you ever sow Aquilegia seed in a tray, leave the tray for a few
months after pricking out the seedlings. It is highly probable that a
good number of stragglers will appear well after you have removed the
"main crop". I have known seeds germinate up to 6 months later. They are
such delightful plants that it's always worth stowing the tray with the
remaining compost in a quiet corner somewhere (not necessarily in the
greenhouse - unless you expect frost).

Thanks for all the help, looks as though Aquilegia has won the identity
parade! Especially as the source of the pot says he had some that he had
forgotten about!