Old 15-04-2010, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Volcanic Dust

Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust. Bright,
sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

mark

Old 15-04-2010, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mark wrote:
Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust. Bright,
sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

You know that it's excellent fertiliser?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2010, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
mark wrote:
Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust.
Bright,
sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

You know that it's excellent fertiliser?

I didn't. Presumably if it is dark the ground will warm up and be of benefit
to plants.

mark

Old 15-04-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mark wrote:

Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust.
Bright,
sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

You know that it's excellent fertiliser?

I didn't. Presumably if it is dark the ground will warm up and be of benefit
to plants.

It won't be that heavy, from the sound of it, except perhaps up
in Shetland.

The reason is that it contains lots of useful trace elements.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2010, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
You know that it's excellent fertiliser?

It won't be that heavy, from the sound of it, except perhaps up
in Shetland.

The reason is that it contains lots of useful trace elements.

Slightly too much of some of them. It is fine as a moderate dusting but
bad in excessively large amounts and at short range.

Like most things, even water.

Most notably sulphur dioxide and soluble fluorides in volcanic ash are a
real problem in Iceland itself and can cause crop failures and devastate
agriculture. As also happened in Europe when Laki went pop.

It could be very nasty if as expected the bigger badder Katla erupts.

For a year or so, yes. Iceland isn't a major source of worry on a
global scale, though. Consider what would happen if Yellowstone
went up (it's due, though dormant) or something on that scale.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-04-2010, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust.
Bright, sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

mark

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-201004152642/

R.
:-)

Old 15-04-2010, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:07:55 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:48:26 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust. Bright,
sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

There's a deathly hush here. Perhaps it has something to do with closed
airports.

Now you mention it, I have not seen or heard any planes for ages. They
usually wake me up every few minutes.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 15-04-2010, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
There's a deathly hush here. Perhaps it has something to do with closed
airports.

Now you mention it, I have not seen or heard any planes for ages. They
usually wake me up every few minutes.

Have you seen the radar website of all the planes? It's really fun to
watch! :-)

http://www.flightradar24.com/
Old 15-04-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just been and had a sniff.
No smell of sulphur detected here in Norfolk or any volcanic dust.
Bright, sunny, clouds with about a third blue sky.

Cloudy all day here in Leics but only 5C at 11.30 a.m. No sulphur smell but
a dramatic reduction in temperature since yesterday.
Tina

No smell

Old 15-04-2010, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

The reason is that it contains lots of useful trace elements.

When Hekla erupted in 1963, it covered an extensive area of Iceland with
ash which was so high in fluorides that it poisoned large numbers of
sheep and cattle :-(

Even fertilisers are toxic in excess. Iron is a classic one for
plants - animals are even more sensitive.

Indeed, but in this instance we neither have control over what's in the
dust nor how much lands, just as the Icelanders didn't in 1970 (it was
that year I now recall that the fluoride was expelled not 1963). It
shouldn't necessarily be regarded as "excellent fertiliser".

Most of this country (perhaps all) is short of fluorides. If the
ash is dense enough here to cause toxicity, we will have a global
winter on our hands and more serious things to worry about. With
the possible exception of Shetland and the VERY far north.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-04-2010, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gopher wrote:

Most of this country (perhaps all) is short of fluorides. If the
ash is dense enough here to cause toxicity, we will have a global
winter on our hands and more serious things to worry about. With
the possible exception of Shetland and the VERY far north.

There could be matters of greater concern on the horizon (assuming they
are visible!).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7070239.ece

Precisely. And, even if the wind is towards us, the ash STILL won't
be dense enough to cause significant (or any?) toxicity. The acid
rain may kill trees, as someone else pointed out, but that will be
a different and shorter-term effect.

Oh, and it's not Yellowstone that I should have mentioned: it's Long
Valley (Mammoth Lakes). Smaller than Yellowstone, but has been
twitching for 30+ years - including a 2' change in the level of the
valley floor! Still, I can view an event that might take out Las
Vegas as having a positive side.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Volcanic rock? BruceM Orchids 15 01-12-2007 06:13 PM
Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help? C. Nick Kruzer Orchids 12 27-06-2006 08:04 AM
Anyone know of a source of truckloads of crushed volcanic rock? [email protected] Permaculture 3 08-11-2005 05:42 PM
Volcanic Lava Rock GrlIntrpted Orchids 22 01-04-2004 07:53 PM
Volcanic rock as potting material gal Orchids 7 22-03-2003 08:20 PM