GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help Please! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190833-help-please.html)

B Gibb 15-04-2010 09:47 PM

Help Please!

I am a member of the Friends of Pickering Park here in Hull. We have a
gardening day coming up soon, and wanted to get some advice. Our plan is to
plough up the tennis courts (grass courts not used for years) and plant a
mixture of Cornflower and Field Poppy seeds in an area the size of 4 (2x2)
Tennis Courts. Any one got any idea how much seed we would need?
There is another area adjacent that we plan to turn into a wild flower
meadow, advice on this would also be welcome.

Thanking you in advance for all your help - Tony Ryan

Phil Gurr 16-04-2010 12:19 AM

Help Please!

"B Gibb" wrote in message
. uk...
I am a member of the Friends of Pickering Park here in Hull. We have a
gardening day coming up soon, and wanted to get some advice. Our plan is
to plough up the tennis courts (grass courts not used for years) and plant
a mixture of Cornflower and Field Poppy seeds in an area the size of 4
(2x2) Tennis Courts. Any one got any idea how much seed we would need?
There is another area adjacent that we plan to turn into a wild flower
meadow, advice on this would also be welcome.

The normal rate for sowing poppy and cornflower is a modest 2g. per square
metre. However, you should remember that these seeds will only flower once
unless you disturb the ground every year. Much better to sow a perennial
wildflower mixture and disturb small areas in this so that you get patches
of annual flowers every year. Moles can do a good job for you here. A good
place to get your seed would be Emorsgate seeds http://wildseed.co.uk You
will find that their catalogue contains all the information that you need.

Phil