Old 23-04-2010, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Could you do this? Would you do this?

First thing this morning I had a phonecall.........
Can you answer a question?
I don't know, what is it?
How should I plant the dahlia I bought in Homebase? Should it be on
its side or upright?
Upright
Oh that is with the stem on top?
Yes
Oh! I think that's what I did. Should the top of the stem be at soil
level?
No you need to plant it a couple of inches below the ground.
Oh! Will it grow through that much soil?
Me trying to remain patient.... Yes, easily
Should I put some dirt on top of it then?
Yes, and dont forget some slug pellets
What are they?
At this point I'd had enough.
The best thing you can do is to go back to Homebase and ask them.
Good bye.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 24-04-2010, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/04/2010 20:48, Dave Hill wrote:
First thing this morning I had a phonecall.........
Can you answer a question?
I don't know, what is it?
How should I plant the dahlia I bought in Homebase? Should it be on
its side or upright?
snipped

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

A friend winding you up perhaps?
Don
Old 24-04-2010, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2010 09:45, Donwill wrote:

A friend winding you up perhaps?

Sounds like an excellent 1st April prank for a friend to do; provided
they could disguise their voice. :-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 24-04-2010, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 24 Apr, 09:21, David in Normandy
wrote:
On 24/04/2010 09:45, Donwill wrote:

A friend winding you up perhaps?

Sounds like an excellent 1st April prank for a friend to do; provided
they could disguise their voice. :-)

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

This was no wind up and was yesterday so no April fool.
This is not uncommon.
When we used to open to the public I had a man come in with a load of
plants in his car. He had bought them in Woolworths.
Why?
He wanted me to tell him how to plant and care for them.
I told him to go back to Wollies and ask them.
If he had bought something and then asked it wouldn't have been so
bad, but to just drive in for information.
David Hill
Old 24-04-2010, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 23, 9:48*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
First thing this morning I had a phonecall.........
Can you answer a question?

er, well, that one... yep!

How should I plant the dahlia I bought in Homebase? Should it be on
its side or upright?

Ah, you'll have to bring it here for me to have a look at it, but
mind, you might notice when you get here that our range of plants is
far better then you'll have seen there (at this point you can list
off, oooh 20 or so items, they don't have to be plants, and be sure to
descriptively "sell" them) and you'll want to buy lots and lots so do
make sure to bring plently of money with you, right;
bye!

Old 24-04-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
I told him to go back to Wollies and ask them.

I like the name Wollies. :-)

If he had bought something and then asked it wouldn't have been so
bad, but to just drive in for information.

Hmm, you say that, but do you honestly know that he wouldn't have bought
stuff after you'd given him advice? (either this time, or on a potential
future visit?

(Sorry, I'm just a huge believer in doing favours for a wide variety of
people on the basis that one day they will become handy!)
Old 25-04-2010, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 24, 11:13*pm, wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
I told him to go back to Wollies and ask them.

I like the name Wollies. *:-)

If he had bought something and then asked it wouldn't have been so
bad, but to just drive in for information.

Hmm, you say that, but do you honestly know that he wouldn't have bought
stuff after you'd given him advice? *(either this time, or on a potential
future visit?

(Sorry, I'm just a huge believer in doing favours for a wide variety of
*people on the basis that one day they will become handy!)

I imagine second hand car dealerships garages face similar problems;
imagine; someone brings in a car for a service because you're not a
rip-off merchant and you stay open out-of-hours and so on.
good, so you get their business, but it's mainly labour related
income. the real money is in your second hand sales; but after years
of faithful services the buggers turn up some day with a "new" car
which they got from Con & Con down the road and you have to stand
there and listen to them complain about how they bought it in good
faith and it wasn't even cheap.. but just look at how many problems..
"can you fix it up for me, cheap like?"
Old 25-04-2010, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

a lot pruned (Wish others would do the same)

The equivalent to DH's experience, is someone asking a garage he
didn't buy the car from, and doesn't do business with, to provide free
, step by step advice
on how to fix the car himself.

Janet

Whilst I was in business I had two wonderful experiences ...

1) Prospective customer asked me to quote on a telephone installation he
required. Made a visit and quoted. Heard nothing, for about 4 years when a
telephone call requested a visit to sort a fault out. Turned out to be on
what I had quoted for. 'You didn't accept my quote'. "You were too dear" 'I
suggest you go back to your cheaper installer to clear the fault then'

2) A customer in a competitors premises, asking me, on the competitors
telephone, what equipment he needed to buy from my competitor to carry out a
telephone installation and what were the connections i.e. colour to terminal
number!

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 25-04-2010, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 25, 5:03*pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message

from aquachimp contains these words:

On Apr 24, 11:13*pm, wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Of course; But you're just being entirely correct; Humph!