GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gooseberries. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191084-gooseberries.html)

Lynne 25-04-2010 09:30 AM

Gooseberries.

New to all this so I am going to need lot's of help!
I have bought a small gooseberry bush, and owing to a very large dog who is very good a digging, wondered if I can grow in a tub. If so what compost will I need, and can I take cuttings.

Jim[_23_] 25-04-2010 08:49 PM

Gooseberries.

Lynne wrote:
New to all this so I am going to need lot's of help!
I have bought a small gooseberry bush, and owing to a very large dog who
is very good a digging, wondered if I can grow in a tub. If so what
compost will I need, and can I take cuttings.

Hi Lynne - This should get you started:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...gooseberry.asp

Jim
NE England

Mike Lyle 26-04-2010 09:46 PM

Gooseberries.

Jim wrote:
Lynne wrote:
New to all this so I am going to need lot's of help!
I have bought a small gooseberry bush, and owing to a very large dog
who is very good a digging, wondered if I can grow in a tub. If so
what compost will I need, and can I take cuttings.

Hi Lynne - This should get you started:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...gooseberry.asp

Or you could try the trick I use to keep next-door's cat off sensitive
areas: I spread out pieces of that cheap "lazy-tongs" trellis, available
in any good quid shop. It's not much cop as trellis, but it does seem to
put pussy-cats off, so it might work for a dog too. I admit I found my
daughter's border terrier chewing a projecting end this afternoon, but
neither of them actually walked on it... I also keep a few branches of
the Christmas tree for the same purpose.

--
Mike.

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 29-04-2010 08:07 PM

Gooseberries.

Lynne wrote:
New to all this so I am going to need lot's of help!
I have bought a small gooseberry bush, and owing to a very large dog who
is very good a digging, wondered if I can grow in a tub. If so what
compost will I need, and can I take cuttings.

Gooseberries are very forgiving, but respond better if kept fairly moist
(being a base-of-hedgerow shrub. A Poundland planter would do, thogh a
bigger one would be better. I've not noticed them be fussy about soil,
either.

It's difficult to stop goosebery cuttings from taking. Layering (pegging
ends of branches down on soil) is better, though.

--
Rusty