GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grapes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191203-grapes.html)

Dymphna[_9_] 30-04-2010 06:17 PM

Grapes

Two years ago I got my first grapes off my vines. Then this past summer
there was pretty much nothing. What can I do to change this?

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 30-04-2010 09:17 PM

Grapes

Dymphna wrote:
Two years ago I got my first grapes off my vines. Then this past summer
there was pretty much nothing. What can I do to change this?

Not a lot. Vines tend to have good years and bad years, Three years ago
I had thirty good bunches on my Black Hamburg.

Two tears ago I had two miserable little bunches.

Last year there were about twenty.

Some potash might help, but lay off the nitrogen. Soe growers mulch
early in the year with straw just to reduce nitrogen.

Correct pruning helps too, as does planting the vine in the open over a
dead donkey and training it into a greenhouse, then keeping the
temperature an humidity right.

I'd get a good book on vines specifically, not a general gardening book
which touches on the subject.

--
Rusty

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 04-05-2010 12:20 PM

Grapes

In article , Dymphna.4a8sdo@no-
mx.forums.travel.com says...

Two years ago I got my first grapes off my vines. Then this past summer
there was pretty much nothing. What can I do to change this?

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Protect the flowers in the spring from frost and pray for a decent
summer! in short not a lot
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk