GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Height of a compost heap (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191387-height-compost-heap.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 09-05-2010 03:10 PM

Height of a compost heap

It has taken me a couple of days to turn a compost heap and what with what
was there and new stuff added, it is now nearly 5 ft high and about 3 ft
square.

I know it will settle, but is there any advantage/disadvantage with a 'high'
compost heap? ('High' as in height not 'phew' before some smartarse passes
comments)

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

mogga 09-05-2010 03:39 PM

Height of a compost heap

On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:10:21 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

It has taken me a couple of days to turn a compost heap and what with what
was there and new stuff added, it is now nearly 5 ft high and about 3 ft
square.

I know it will settle, but is there any advantage/disadvantage with a 'high'
compost heap? ('High' as in height not 'phew' before some smartarse passes
comments)

Mike

The more the merrier I think. Obviously if it's bigger than your house
then you've gone too far.
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

aquachimp 09-05-2010 03:48 PM

Height of a compost heap

wrote:
It has taken me a couple of days to turn a compost heap and what with what
was there and new stuff added, it is now nearly 5 ft high and about 3 ft
square.

I know it will settle, but is there any advantage/disadvantage with a 'high'
compost heap? ('High' as in height not 'phew' before some smartarse passes
comments)

Mike

The more the merrier I think. Obviously if it's bigger than your house
then you've gone too far.
--http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Apart from which, taking all the grass clipping (etc.) up to the
roof , only to then have to climb further....

If memory serves, the optimal distance that the core of (settled) heap
should be around 1.2 metres. I think this was for aeration potential.
For leaf based compost the extra weight assists in grinding it all up.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 09-05-2010 04:39 PM

Height of a compost heap

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:

It has taken me a couple of days to turn a compost heap and what with what
was there and new stuff added, it is now nearly 5 ft high and about 3 ft
square.

I know it will settle, but is there any advantage/disadvantage with a 'high'
compost heap? ('High' as in height not 'phew' before some smartarse passes
comments)

Mike

The more the merrier I think. Obviously if it's bigger than your house
then you've gone too far.

For a hot heap I presume that the closer to cubical the better. The
bigger than better, until you get to the point where the interior
catches fire, or turns into charcoal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94308364@N00/227048081
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley