GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unknown flower/weed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191503-unknown-flower-weed.html)

Bob Hobden 15-05-2010 07:31 PM

Unknown flower/weed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4609621680/

Found by friends when they arrived back home in SW France this week. Nothing
they have planted.
Anyone know what this is?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Bob Hobden 15-05-2010 07:33 PM

Unknown flower/weed

"Bob Hobden" wrote
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4609621680/

Found by friends when they arrived back home in SW France this week.
Nothing they have planted.
Anyone know what this is?

Should have said the leaves behind are nothing to with it, they are Tall
Beared Iris.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Stewart Robert Hinsley 15-05-2010 10:19 PM

Unknown flower/weed

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4609621680/

Found by friends when they arrived back home in SW France this week.
Nothing they have planted.
Anyone know what this is?

Is that one inflorescence, or two (coincidentally in line)?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bob Hobden 15-05-2010 11:15 PM

Unknown flower/weed

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
Bob Hobden

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4609621680/

Found by friends when they arrived back home in SW France this week.
Nothing they have planted.
Anyone know what this is?

Is that one inflorescence, or two (coincidentally in line)?

One.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dave Poole 16-05-2010 06:45 AM

Unknown flower/weed

It's Muscari comosum aka 'Tufted Hyacinth' Bob. The variety
'Plumosum' is the most commonly seen variant since the entire flower
head is a filamentous mass, which is allegedly more 'attractive'.
Both are relatively easy to grow in well drained or sandy soils but
will not tolerate being frozen solid and so are not entirely
successful in colder gardens.

Bob Hobden 16-05-2010 08:39 AM

Unknown flower/weed

"Dave Poole" wrote ...
It's Muscari comosum aka 'Tufted Hyacinth' Bob. The variety
'Plumosum' is the most commonly seen variant since the entire flower
head is a filamentous mass, which is allegedly more 'attractive'.
Both are relatively easy to grow in well drained or sandy soils but
will not tolerate being frozen solid and so are not entirely
successful in colder gardens.

Thanks Dave, presumably it's native to that area around Toulouse?
I know it grows on Cyprus 'cause I've seen the normal one a long long time
ago but didn't recognise it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dave Poole 16-05-2010 05:37 PM

Unknown flower/weed

Bob wrote:

Thanks Dave, presumably it's native to that area around Toulouse?
I know it grows on Cyprus 'cause I've seen the normal one a long long time
ago but didn't recognise it.

I would assume so Bob yes, although Toulouse is possibly close to its
northern limit in France. Typically it is a plant of the
Mediterranean basin and is found in France, Italy, Greece and Turkey
as well as many of the islands. I've seen it on Cyprus too and I
understand that it also occurs on Crete and Corfu. I prefer the
straight species as in your pic to the cultivated plumose form, which
is a bit of a monstrosity in my view.

kay 16-05-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Poole (Post 887424)
Bob wrote:

Thanks Dave, presumably it's native to that area around Toulouse?
I know it grows on Cyprus 'cause I've seen the normal one a long long time
ago but didn't recognise it.

I would assume so Bob yes, although Toulouse is possibly close to its
northern limit in France. Typically it is a plant of the
Mediterranean basin and is found in France, Italy, Greece and Turkey
as well as many of the islands. I've seen it on Cyprus too and I
understand that it also occurs on Crete and Corfu. I prefer the
straight species as in your pic to the cultivated plumose form, which
is a bit of a monstrosity in my view.

Abundant in southern Portugal too, growing in disturbed agricultural land