GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   shrub ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191548-shrub-id.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 17-05-2010 12:31 PM

shrub ID

This shrub is regenerating on an abandoned site (which also has a
variety of Cotoneasters, Viburnum lantana, Sorbia aria and intermedia,
and a several other shrubs). It was photographed last Thursday, but I
also saw it last autumn, with black berries.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot29.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot30.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot31.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Poole 17-05-2010 01:21 PM

shrub ID

It is Lonicera involucrata ssp. involucrata. A US native that seemed
to grab the utility landscapers' attention for a while. Not the most
spectacular of the shrubby honeysuckles, but pleasant enough viewed
close-to.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 17-05-2010 01:31 PM

shrub ID

This shrub is regenerating on an abandoned site (which also has a variety
of Cotoneasters, Viburnum lantana, Sorbia aria and intermedia, and a
several other shrubs). It was photographed last Thursday, but I also saw
it last autumn, with black berries.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot29.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot30.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot31.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

One of the shrubby Loniceras. Maybe something like ledebourii?

--

Jeff

Stewart Robert Hinsley 17-05-2010 02:35 PM

shrub ID

In message
, Dave
Poole writes
It is Lonicera involucrata ssp. involucrata. A US native that seemed
to grab the utility landscapers' attention for a while. Not the most
spectacular of the shrubby honeysuckles, but pleasant enough viewed
close-to.

Thanks.

Now that I know what it is I see the family resemblance (to xylosteum,
nitida and pileata).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Poole 17-05-2010 05:35 PM

shrub ID

Jeff Layman wrote:

One of the shrubby Loniceras. Maybe something like ledebourii?

Good point. L. involucrata ssp. ledebourii is the other ssp, of this
Lonicera and having now looked at the third pic showing more mature
flowers, realise that it is indeed ssp. ledebourii. The main telling
factor is that in ssp. involucrata, the flowers are greenish yellow,
ageing to yellow. In ssp. ledebourii, the flowers are yellow with a
strong reddish orange, external flush as is more obvious in the third
pic.