GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree roots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191583-tree-roots.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 19-05-2010 10:34 AM

Tree roots

As I understand it, a tree's roots reflect its canopy. i.e. a large tree
with a large canopy/growth will produce a large root formation to feed its
top. If however that large tree is severely coppiced/pollarded, does the
root formation 'die back', for the want of a better way of putting it?

Any advice welcomed

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 19-05-2010 12:58 PM

Tree roots

"'Mike'" wrote in message
As I understand it, a tree's roots reflect its canopy. i.e. a large tree
with a large canopy/growth will produce a large root formation to feed its
top. If however that large tree is severely coppiced/pollarded, does the
root formation 'die back', for the want of a better way of putting it?

Any advice welcomed

Mike

No but its demand for water will be reduced and it will be able to grow at a
much greater rate than before in terms of length of stem although the
biomass will be less

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

'Mike'[_4_] 19-05-2010 02:00 PM

Tree roots

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
As I understand it, a tree's roots reflect its canopy. i.e. a large tree
with a large canopy/growth will produce a large root formation to feed
its top. If however that large tree is severely coppiced/pollarded, does
the root formation 'die back', for the want of a better way of putting
it?

Any advice welcomed

Mike

No but its demand for water will be reduced and it will be able to grow at
a much greater rate than before in terms of length of stem although the
biomass will be less

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie that is wonderful thank you. I am just going to a meeting and this
will be valuable ammunition for our cause.

Many thanks