GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Honeysuckle ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191634-honeysuckle-id.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-05-2010 11:17 PM

Honeysuckle ID

I've now found 6 species of honeysuckle growing "in the wild" this year,
the last beside a canal towpath.

This last isn't in Stace, but referring to the Hillier Manual leads me
to suspect Lonicera tatarica. But it's not obviously the same as the
plant I photographed under that name at a National Trust garden in 2005.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Lonice39.jpg

Anyone agree or disagree?

PS: Pam Moore was asking about the scent of the Elaeagnus multiflora.
Now that the flowers have opened there is some scent present, but it
wasn't striking.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Poole 23-05-2010 02:40 PM

Honeysuckle ID

The leaves are rather more oblong than the typically elliptic L.
tartarica, but the flower colour and other floral characters are
nearly right for the cultivar 'Hacks Red'. If you call it tartarica
you won't be wrong, but because it is almost certainly a wild set
seedling, it can't be Hacks Red no matter how similar.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 23-05-2010 04:50 PM

Honeysuckle ID

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
The leaves are rather more oblong than the typically elliptic L.
tartarica, but the flower colour and other floral characters are
nearly right for the cultivar 'Hacks Red'. If you call it tartarica
you won't be wrong,

Sorry, Dave, but I can't resist it! You will be wrong because it's
"tatarica", not "tartarica"...

--

Jeff

Dave Poole 23-05-2010 05:22 PM

Honeysuckle ID

On May 23, 4:50*pm, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
"Dave Poole" wrote in message

The leaves are rather more oblong than the typically elliptic L.
tartarica, but the flower colour and other floral characters are
nearly right for the cultivar 'Hacks Red'. *If you call it tartarica
you won't be wrong,

Sorry, Dave, but I can't resist it! * You will be wrong because it's
"tatarica", not "tartarica"...

--

Jeff

Realised as soon as I pressed the send button - had been watching Rick
Stein making tartar sauce earlier and it got muxed up. Damn this
newsgroup malarkey for not being able to edit!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 24-05-2010 12:17 AM

Honeysuckle ID

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
The leaves are rather more oblong than the typically elliptic L.
tartarica, but the flower colour and other floral characters are
nearly right for the cultivar 'Hacks Red'.

Thanks.

If you call it tartarica
you won't be wrong, but because it is almost certainly a wild set
seedling, it can't be Hacks Red no matter how similar.

The 1995 edn. of ICNCP, article 2.18 says "All indistinguishable
variants, irrespective of the origin, are treated as one cultivar". (But
morphologically indistinguishable variants may differ in their edaphic
preferences, or in their hardiness, so I would deprecate distributing a
seedling of a clonally propagated cultivar under the name of the
cultivar.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley