GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   jersey royals (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191698-jersey-royals.html)

bob[_5_] 25-05-2010 08:39 AM

jersey royals

every year we buy jerseys and every year we are dissapointed at the
lack of flavour,years ago jerseys were one of the highlights of the
season lovely creamy earthy flavour,now even imported spuds have more
taste,what went wrong with them,we are thinking of planting some to
see if we can impart some flavour,any ideas?

Dave Hill 25-05-2010 09:20 AM

jersey royals

On 25 May, 08:39, bob wrote:
every year we buy jerseys and every year we are dissapointed at the
lack of flavour,years ago jerseys were one of the highlights of the
season lovely creamy earthy flavour,now even imported spuds have more
taste,what went wrong with them,we are thinking of planting some to
see if we can impart some flavour,any ideas?

I bought a pack of Jersey Royals and they were rubbish, but then
bought loose ones and they were much more like the JR's of old, but so
many this year are being sold for an exorbitant price ready pealed and
in small packs.
David Hill

Bob Hobden 25-05-2010 04:43 PM

jersey royals

"bob" wrote
every year we buy jerseys and every year we are dissapointed at the
lack of flavour,years ago jerseys were one of the highlights of the
season lovely creamy earthy flavour,now even imported spuds have more
taste,what went wrong with them,we are thinking of planting some to
see if we can impart some flavour,any ideas?

As Sacha has said, it's the seaweed mulch/manure that gives them the real
true flavour. We have grown International Kidney (the real name of them) in
the past and they are good but nothing like a proper Jersey Royal because we
are a bit too far from the sea to get a good layer of seaweed on the plot.
Did try watering with seaweed extract one year but can't say I noticed much
improvement in taste.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden