Old 29-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Paul Clark

Default What's eating my Choisya?

My choisya is doing ok after a couple of years in the ground, nice flowers
this spring. However I think something is eating it. Just above the point
on the main stems where leaves branch out something strips the bark down
which causes the stem to die above it. It's noticable because the head
turns yellow and then withers and dies. I cut out the dead part and a few
days or a week later another part starts dieing back.

Does anyone know what causes this or how I can stop it?

thanks,
Paul

Old 29-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Emrys Davies

'Paul',

Choisya is prone to snails but it is probably too early for them.
However, a visit with a torch would eliminate that theory or find the
real culprit.

Frost damage may kill the young shoots. Local knowledge will decide that
issue.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-04-2003, 09:44 PM
fmurl

"Paul Clark" wrote:

My choisya is doing ok after a couple of years in the ground, nice flowers
this spring. However I think something is eating it. Just above the point
on the main stems where leaves branch out something strips the bark down
which causes the stem to die above it. It's noticable because the head
turns yellow and then withers and dies. I cut out the dead part and a few
days or a week later another part starts dieing back.

I have the same problem with mine this year, and I'm almost certain it's
frost damage for me. I have only two at the moment, the standard ternata
and a ternata 'Sundance'. Both are showing the same signs, but the Sundance
is looking pretty sorry at the moment.

We had two really hard frosts here a few weeks back, and I reckon that's
what done for them. Both still in flower, though.

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.
Old 30-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Nick Gray

"Paul Clark" wrote in message
My choisya is doing ok after a couple of years in the ground, nice flowers
this spring. However I think something is eating it. Just above the

point
on the main stems where leaves branch out something strips the bark down
which causes the stem to die above it. It's noticable because the head
turns yellow and then withers and dies. I cut out the dead part and a few
days or a week later another part starts dieing back.

Does anyone know what causes this or how I can stop it?

thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

If the bark is being stripped back, it sounds like deer having a nibble, as
they've done to my dog wood. Although they don't seem too bothered by my
choisya, but this may be because they can't get to the stems due to the
foliage.

There are dear deterrents, but I've resorted to only planting things that
deer don't eat.

HTH

Nick

choisya 4x4rob Gardening 1 01-02-2010 05:51 PM
Choisya ternata in freezing fog [1/1] MadCow Garden Photos 1 30-12-2007 01:11 AM
Sick choisya Paul Richards United Kingdom 0 05-10-2003 11:32 AM
choisya ternata david keel United Kingdom 3 08-09-2003 10:22 PM
pruning a choisya (sundance) SarahH United Kingdom 9 01-04-2003 11:20 PM