Old 26-05-2010, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Home made seed planter (drill?)

Hi

The little furry creatures keep digging up the sunflower seeds I
plant. I have tried a large screwdriver to make the hole, but fiddly
to say the least. Any of you bright sparks got ideas on how I can
plant a single seed or two to a depth where the furries cannot smell
them and start digging them up?I'm sure you will, ta
Old 26-05-2010, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Apples" wrote in message
Hi

The little furry creatures keep digging up the sunflower seeds I
plant. I have tried a large screwdriver to make the hole, but fiddly
to say the least. Any of you bright sparks got ideas on how I can
plant a single seed or two to a depth where the furries cannot smell
them and start digging them up?I'm sure you will, ta

Start the seeds off in pots and then plant them out when you've got 6" of
seedling and a pot full of roots.

Steve

Old 26-05-2010, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Apples wrote:
The little furry creatures keep digging up the sunflower seeds I
plant. I have tried a large screwdriver to make the hole, but fiddly
to say the least. Any of you bright sparks got ideas on how I can
plant a single seed or two to a depth where the furries cannot smell
them and start digging them up?I'm sure you will, ta

I have to admit, my solution to seed digging is to plant in the greenhouse
before transferring out. Sunflowers in root trainers, peas in guttering.

Old 26-05-2010, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 26 May, 20:47, wrote:
Apples wrote:
The little furry creatures keep digging up the sunflower seeds I
plant. I have tried a large screwdriver to make the hole, but fiddly
to say the least. Any of you bright sparks got ideas on how I can
plant a single seed or two to a depth where the furries cannot smell
them and start digging them up?I'm sure you will, ta

I have to admit, my solution to seed digging is to plant in the greenhouse
before transferring out. *Sunflowers in root trainers, peas in guttering.

Why not plant as normal and then water with a solution of Armilatox,
the smell will mask any smell from the seeds and will last long enough
for the plants to be well up before it fades.
David Hill

Looking for a Strawberry Planter made of wood and.. SteveSch Gardening 0 05-05-2006 04:14 PM
Drill drain hole in concrete planter? Airkings Gardening 1 06-06-2005 02:53 AM
FA: Last day to bid on Stihl saw and Magnetic Drill / Rotobroach Mr Blue Skye United Kingdom 3 04-12-2003 11:33 PM
Drill hole in rock? Pat Keith Ponds 5 08-11-2003 09:42 PM
[IBC] Drill Direction For Thread Graft Jim S Bonsai 0 23-04-2003 02:08 AM