Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

X-post to uk.rec.gardening who are perhaps more likely to be expert in this
subject.

wrote in message
Where in the UK can you buy a piece of land of around 2-3 acres with a
house on it, where you can be self-sufficient, i.e. farm the land non-
commercially for your own family's needs only (without keeping any
livestock), without breaking any regulations or requiring permission?

Is there anywhere where you can get this for less than say 300K?

ISTR my self-sufficiency books said that you needed a minimum of 4 acres to
fully rotate crops and feed a family.
They were keeping a pig, though, for meat and for ploughing up the land.
I would have thought you might to keep at least chickens and bees (assuming
you regard these as livestock).

AFAIK you can use all your garden to grow food without requiring any
permission, so I presume the basic question is 'where can I get a house and
two or more acres of land for under £300K'.

If you want a wide range of growing conditions you will need to be fairly
well south, which will push the price up.
Scotland can be cheaper but you have a restricted growing season.

Lincolnshire, perhaps?

HTH

Dave R

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Where in the UK can you buy a piece of land of around 2-3 acres with a
house on it, where you can be self-sufficient, i.e. farm the land non-
commercially for your own family's needs only (without keeping any
livestock), without breaking any regulations or requiring permission?

Is there anywhere where you can get this for less than say 300K?

ISTR my self-sufficiency books said that you needed a minimum of 4 acres
to fully rotate crops and feed a family.
They were keeping a pig, though, for meat and for ploughing up the land.
I would have thought you might to keep at least chickens and bees
(assuming you regard these as livestock).

AFAIK you can use all your garden to grow food without requiring any
permission, so I presume the basic question is 'where can I get a house
and two or more acres of land for under £300K'.

Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further ado.
Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible either.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:58:36 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:
I would have thought you
might to keep at least chickens and bees (assuming you regard these as
livestock).

Have you ever tried herding bees!? ;-)
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

I think the OP said that he didn't intend to keep livestock.

--
Frank Erskine
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/10 22:42, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:16:11 +0100, Tim wrote:

Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further ado.
Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible either.

I think the OP said that he didn't intend to keep livestock.

Yes, but I think that's going to be hard to be fully (or is the OP after
*mostly*) self sufficent without. You really need dairy even if you
don't eat the cow (well, not until it's getting past it). I suppose a
goat would be an more manageable option for milk. And I can't see how
you could survive without some hens (eggs and meat).

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/06/10 22:42, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:16:11 +0100, Tim wrote:

Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further ado.
Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible either.

I think the OP said that he didn't intend to keep livestock.

Yes, but I think that's going to be hard to be fully (or is the OP after
*mostly*) self sufficent without. You really need dairy even if you don't
eat the cow (well, not until it's getting past it). I suppose a goat would
be an more manageable option for milk. And I can't see how you could
survive without some hens (eggs and meat).

In my cousin's experience, you get the eggs until the fox gets the meat. :-(

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Tim Watts
writes
Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further
ado. Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible
either.

--
Tim Watts

You can't keep chickens just anywhere. In my land registration thingy it
says no chickens or words to that effect.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/10 00:46, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes
Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further
ado. Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible
either.

--
Tim Watts

You can't keep chickens just anywhere. In my land registration thingy it
says no chickens or words to that effect.

Janet

That sounds like a covenant restriction rather than the general case.
I've got one that says "no caravans", but in general people can keep a
caravan.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

OG wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/06/10 22:42, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:16:11 +0100, Tim wrote:
Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further ado.
Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible either.
I think the OP said that he didn't intend to keep livestock.

Yes, but I think that's going to be hard to be fully (or is the OP after
*mostly*) self sufficent without. You really need dairy even if you don't
eat the cow (well, not until it's getting past it). I suppose a goat would
be an more manageable option for milk. And I can't see how you could
survive without some hens (eggs and meat).

In my cousin's experience, you get the eggs until the fox gets the meat. :-(

until you buy the factory made energy intensive shotgun, or chicken wire.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes
Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further
ado. Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible
either.

--
Tim Watts

You can't keep chickens just anywhere. In my land registration thingy it
says no chickens or words to that effect.

I had one that said no chickens, pigs or travelling fairs and I was not
allowed to make it into a lunatic asylum, but they were all restrictive
covenants on the land, not general restrictions.

Colin Bignell

Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
ISTR my self-sufficiency books said that you needed a minimum of 4 acres
to fully rotate crops and feed a family.
They were keeping a pig, though, for meat and for ploughing up the land.
I would have thought you might to keep at least chickens and bees
(assuming you regard these as livestock)...

I assumed the no livestock bit implied vegan. Not sure what their view
on bees is though.

Colin Bignell
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:36:56 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/06/10 22:42, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:16:11 +0100, Tim wrote:

Of course You can also keep chickens and rabbits without further ado.
Pigs, sheep, etc require a license, but that's not impossible either.

I think the OP said that he didn't intend to keep livestock.

Yes, but I think that's going to be hard to be fully (or is the OP after
*mostly*) self sufficent without. You really need dairy even if you
don't eat the cow (well, not until it's getting past it). I suppose a
goat would be an more manageable option for milk. And I can't see how
you could survive without some hens (eggs and meat).

Perhaps the OP and/or his loved ones are vegetarian or vegan? He
seemed very firm in his first posting about no livestock.

Being a vegan isn't easy. I married someone strictly vegetarian who
is keen to go vegan, so I know. But many people seem to achieve a
dairy-free diet quite successfully. I couldn't do it, and it seems as
though you probably couldn't either, but the fact is that many do.

It really isn't up to us to judge what other people do or don't eat. I
don't like being put under pressure *not* to eat certain foods, and I
know that others don't like being pressured by society into eating
things that they don't believe people should eat.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/10 11:26, Bruce wrote:

It really isn't up to us to judge what other people do or don't eat. I
don't like being put under pressure *not* to eat certain foods, and I
know that others don't like being pressured by society into eating
things that they don't believe people should eat.

I wasn't judging him, just questioning the practicalities. TNP said soya
beans - I don't honestly know if that's enough. I thought nuts were par
for the course of being a vegan too???

Chickens are usually high of the list of a truely self sufficient
lifestyle because: they're fairly easy (apart from keeping foxes off
them); they eat lots of kitchen waste; they produce 2 useful products.

Cows OTOH would be a nightmare. When the inevetible happens, having to
kill it and process that much meat in one go would be a serious
undertaking. If it were me, I'd probably develop a liking for goats or
sheeps milk at that point(!)

Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/06/10 11:26, Bruce wrote:
It really isn't up to us to judge what other people do or don't eat. I
don't like being put under pressure *not* to eat certain foods, and I
know that others don't like being pressured by society into eating
things that they don't believe people should eat.

I wasn't judging him, just questioning the practicalities. TNP said soya
beans - I don't honestly know if that's enough. I thought nuts were par
for the course of being a vegan too???

It's not. Nor are nuts+soya. Veganism is as unnatural as the steak
diet so popular with other people, and it's extremely hard to avoid
malnutrition. In particular, B12 deficiency is a serious risk, so
supplements are needed. See, for example, "Dietary Sources" in:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 11:45*am, wrote:

Veganism is as unnatural as the steak
diet so popular with other people, and it's extremely hard to avoid
malnutrition. In particular, B12 deficiency is a serious risk, so
supplements are needed.

Three slices of marmite on toast for breakfast each day give a person
ample B12.

Michael