Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes Falling Over

I mentioned before, I'm growing some spuds for the first time. They're now
a couple of feet tall and there are some flower buds developing. However
today when I went out to look a couple of the plants have sort of fallen
over; they just don't seem to be able to support their own weight. I can't
see any sign of illness; they are green and healthy looking and unblemished.

Is this normal?

Ian

Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message
I mentioned before, I'm growing some spuds for the first time. They're now
a couple of feet tall and there are some flower buds developing. However
today when I went out to look a couple of the plants have sort of fallen
over; they just don't seem to be able to support their own weight. I can't
see any sign of illness; they are green and healthy looking and
unblemished.

Is this normal?

It is if you've had heavy rain :-)

I would lift them upright and earth them up, ie draw up the soil around the
stems so there's only about half as much showing.

Steve

Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

shazzbat wrote:
Is this normal?

It is if you've had heavy rain :-)

Or if you've had mating foxes dancing in them!

I would lift them upright and earth them up, ie draw up the soil around the
stems so there's only about half as much showing.

I see lots of people are pulling their earlies already ... Nick is insisting
we're not allowed to until we have flowers showing, which we still don't
seem to (my dad has, and he's 200 miles north!). I think the frost may have
put ours back a long way. :-/
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"Ian B" wrote in message
I mentioned before, I'm growing some spuds for the first time. They're
now a couple of feet tall and there are some flower buds
developing. However today when I went out to look a couple of the
plants have sort of fallen over; they just don't seem to be able to
support their own weight. I can't see any sign of illness; they are
green and healthy looking and unblemished.

Is this normal?

It is if you've had heavy rain :-)

I would lift them upright and earth them up, ie draw up the soil
around the stems so there's only about half as much showing.

I'd do that, but the soil is like thick brown paint at the moment. Yay, the
British summer!

Ian

Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 June, 14:26, "Ian B" wrote:
shazzbat wrote:
"Ian B" wrote in message
.. .
I mentioned before, I'm growing some spuds for the first time. They're
now a couple of feet tall and there are some flower buds
developing. However today when I went out to look a couple of the
plants have sort of fallen over; they just don't seem to be able to
support their own weight. I can't see any sign of illness; they are
green and healthy looking and unblemished.

Is this normal?

It is if you've had heavy rain :-)

I would lift them upright and earth them up, ie draw up the soil
around the stems so there's only about half as much showing.

I'd do that, but the soil is like thick brown paint at the moment. Yay, the
British summer!

Ian- Hide quoted text -

don't wory, falling over wont hurt them