Old 13-06-2010, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default More "cold weather - happy plants"

Our grape vines, even those that did nothing last year and we thought we
should get rid of them - are all /totally/ smothered in fruit, as are the
olives!!

Old 13-06-2010, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--

Thats fantastic, mine are only just starting to flower.
Old 13-06-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 Sacha wrote:

Our grape vines, even those that did nothing last year and we thought we
should get rid of them - are all /totally/ smothered in fruit, as are the
olives!!

Thats fantastic, mine are only just starting to flower.

It will be interesting to see what kind of apple crops people get this year.

My cider apple trees were covered in blossom the last time I saw them
despite having been drastically pruned. On the other hand my "pommiers à
couteau" are sulking because of the pruning with little or no blossom.

And the frost nipped *all* the new growth on my vines so, even if they
do recover, the fruit will be too late to ripen.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 13-06-2010, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

I wondered about apples because I remember talking to Martin Crawford
from Dartington Agroforestry a couple of years ago. He was worried
that milder winters would eventually affect apple crops as apple trees
need a good period of dormancy.

We will continue to get that, because of the dark. But it seems that
some cold is needed as well, to grow them well. It is possible that
the best apple areas may move northwards a bit, but that isn't exactly
a national tragedy!

I am still concerned about the North Atlantic Drift ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2010, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 12 June, 23:32, wrote:
Our grape vines, even those that did nothing last year and we thought we
should get rid of them - are all /totally/ smothered in fruit, as are the
olives!!

--

Thats fantastic, mine are only just starting to flower.

Yes I was going to say the same. Do they flower? I've never noticed the
flowers - just what seems to be bids turn into grapes?