GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Palm Tree ID + little palm? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192141-palm-tree-id-little-palm.html)

mgunnill 13-06-2010 03:15 PM

Palm Tree ID + little palm?

2 Attachment(s)
I wondered if someone could help with the following:

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

2: Close to the palm, about ten feet on a raised area another plant has started to grow. I don't know what this is as well. I think it may come from the palm itelf.

I enclose two pictures, one of the 16 year old palm and the small new plant.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you

Mike

Kent. UK.

Stephen Wolstenholme 13-06-2010 04:37 PM

Palm Tree ID + little palm?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:15:40 -0400, mgunnill
wrote:

I wondered if someone could help with the following:

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have
a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

2: Close to the palm, about ten feet on a raised area another plant has
started to grow. I don't know what this is as well. I think it may come
from the palm itelf.

I enclose two pictures, one of the 16 year old palm and the small new
plant.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you

Mike

Cordyline australis

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

[email protected] 13-06-2010 07:20 PM

Palm Tree ID + little palm?

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"mgunnill" wrote

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have
a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

1. Cordyline australis. (it's actually not a palm in the true sense)

2.Cordyline australis seedling.

Also known as a cabbage tree, for reasons not fully understood outside
the antipodes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

mgunnill 14-06-2010 12:31 PM

Dear All

I am very grateful for all the replies. Thank you.

Mike

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 15-06-2010 12:03 PM

Palm Tree ID + little palm?

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"mgunnill" wrote

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have
a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

1. Cordyline australis. (it's actually not a palm in the true sense)

2.Cordyline australis seedling.

Also known as a cabbage tree, for reasons not fully understood outside
the antipodes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think the natives used to eat the young leaf bases, which had to be
boiled to soften them at which time they smell similar to boiling
cabbage.

Note for the original poster - they are not true palms
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

echinosum 15-06-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgunnill (Post 891026)
Dear All

I am very grateful for all the replies. Thank you.

Mike

And, to be clear, Cordylines are not actually palm trees. They are in the Asparagales, which means they are more closely related to agaves, irises and orchids than to palms.