Old 13-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Registered User

Default Palm Tree ID + little palm?

I wondered if someone could help with the following:

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

2: Close to the palm, about ten feet on a raised area another plant has started to grow. I don't know what this is as well. I think it may come from the palm itelf.

I enclose two pictures, one of the 16 year old palm and the small new plant.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you

Mike

Kent. UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Palm Tree ID + little palm?-small-plant-nr-palm.jpg   Palm Tree ID + little palm?-palm-june2010.jpg
Old 13-06-2010, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:15:40 -0400, mgunnill
wrote:

I wondered if someone could help with the following:

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have
a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

2: Close to the palm, about ten feet on a raised area another plant has
started to grow. I don't know what this is as well. I think it may come
from the palm itelf.

I enclose two pictures, one of the 16 year old palm and the small new
plant.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you

Mike

Cordyline australis

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 13-06-2010, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"mgunnill" wrote

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have
a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

1. Cordyline australis. (it's actually not a palm in the true sense)

2.Cordyline australis seedling.

Also known as a cabbage tree, for reasons not fully understood outside
the antipodes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunnill View Post
Dear All

I am very grateful for all the replies. Thank you.

Mike
And, to be clear, Cordylines are not actually palm trees. They are in the Asparagales, which means they are more closely related to agaves, irises and orchids than to palms.