Old 13-06-2010, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default First Harvest!

5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

Old 13-06-2010, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

A good start!

I have had only some broad bean tops and strawberries of the new
season's crops.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2010, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

If you grow chives and rhubarb you can harvest them earlier than this. I
also harvested a few beetroots that had survived the winter earlier in
the year, and some leaves from last year's chard.

I was forgettnig the rhubarb, we've been picking that for a while, but
stopped a couple of weeks ago as it was starting to look a bit sad.

I pulled all of last year's beetroots which we forgot to harvest last year,
and have now gone to seed and threw them to the chickens - they had an
absolute field day with them, although they've only munched through the
leaves not the actual root (not too unexpected, I guess)

If a Dandelion diet makes yolks super-yellow, I wonder what beetroot will do
to them? ;-)
Old 14-06-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:87kpi9FojqU3
@mid.individual.net:

5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

Nice.

I have been picking alpine strawbs for a couple of weeks now but are small,
5p coin size.
They kept their foiliage all through winter along with many flowers, should
I have maintained them? I thought about nipping here and there but decided
not to.
I grew them from seed and they are Mignonette, have you any advice for me
please.

Thanks
PtePike
Old 14-06-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

PtePike wrote:
I have been picking alpine strawbs for a couple of weeks now but are small,
5p coin size.
They kept their foiliage all through winter along with many flowers, should
I have maintained them? I thought about nipping here and there but decided
not to.
I grew them from seed and they are Mignonette, have you any advice for me
please.

None at all, really, I'm afraid. I grew mine a bit by accident about 6
years ago, in a big pot, and they've kept going ever since. Mine stayed
leafy and with a couple of flowers, too, but they don't seem to have
suffered from it.

5p size isn't that bad, really. They /are/ alpine strawberries, they are
meant to be small. I think mine are a little bigger than 5p size (well, 5p
on the main bit, but a bit elongated), but not much. Noticed another
handful have ripened since yesterday!

I don't actually like them, they're just there for the kids to go rooting
through when they remember. :-)

Oh, one thing to note - vine weevil seem to really enjoy them, so watch out
for vine weevil grubs,a nd don't d othe silly thing that I did before they
went in the pot, which was to plant them under a grape vine!

Old 14-06-2010, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply.
I think after your comments that I have grown something I dont like too
much either!
I took the plunge and planted a grape.....guess where!

We live and hope that not too much damage has been done.

Thanks
PtePike
Old 14-06-2010, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

PtePike wrote:
I think after your comments that I have grown something I dont like too
much either!

Heh. They're a bit of an aquired taste. Certainly not big and juicy
strawberries. But they do have a much longer growing season! (start
earlier and keep going much later - although last year was a bit odd with
our real strawberries growing into late November, iirc!)

I took the plunge and planted a grape.....guess where!

:-) You may be lucky, and you can get things to treat vine weavil that you
just water on, if you're that way inclined. I got sent to pick them out by
hand, cos it was "my fault" for putting the strawberries in. :-( Not a
pleasant job.

Old 14-06-2010, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
I think after your comments that I have grown something I dont like
too much either!

Heh. They're a bit of an aquired taste. Certainly not big and juicy
strawberries. But they do have a much longer growing season! (start
earlier and keep going much later - although last year was a bit odd
with our real strawberries growing into late November, iirc!)

I took the plunge and planted a grape.....guess where!

:-) You may be lucky, and you can get things to treat vine weavil that
:you
just water on, if you're that way inclined. I got sent to pick them
out by hand, cos it was "my fault" for putting the strawberries in.
:-( Not a pleasant job.

In future dont get caught hehe.
Old 14-06-2010, 04:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

They have a very intense strawberry taste, but without the strawberry juiciness. They're best used either as nibbles while you're out in the garden, or to add to something else - layered with cream inside a sponge cake, scattered over ice cream or added to muesli, for example.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

Alan

Old 17-06-2010, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:17:20 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

I've had loads and loads of lettuce and radish

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 17-06-2010, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

I've had loads and loads of lettuce and radish

Lucky beggar!

Alan

--

First Harvest mj North Carolina 8 02-07-2012 11:11 PM
First Harvest No Name United Kingdom 11 19-06-2012 10:22 AM
First frost and harvest David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 14-05-2010 07:43 PM
Worms - my first "harvest" of castings Cheryl Isaak Gardening 0 22-05-2007 01:56 PM
First harvest from the garden zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 31-05-2005 09:58 PM